Recover data from a floppy disk?

By larswebb
May 10, 2006
  1. Hi All,

Is it possible to recover data from a floppy disk? One day it worked fine the next day a error message appeared "The disk in drive A is not formatted" "Do you want to format it now?" I have tried it on other PC's and the same thing happens.

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Unfortunately, once a floppy disk is damaged, I don`t think there is anything you can do about it IMHO.

Regards Howard :)
  3. larswebb

larswebb TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

I agree,

I was able to recover some files using disk copy but not the ones I needed.

I tried it one more time and I retrieved all my files intact, Yes!!!!!!!!
    But! I tried it again just for the hell of it and I couldn't get anything. That's OK though I'm in business now.
  4. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 6,000   +15

provided the floppy disk isn't physically damaged, there are several data recovery programs out there than can scour a device for data..... however, chances are the recovered data will be corrupt off a floppy.

The medium is not reliable for storing important data- especially long term.
  5. lukeyu

lukeyu TS Rookie

I suggest you use data recovery software such as EASEUS Data Recovery Wizard to recover files.

Download demo version:

You can use "AdvancedRecovery" to scan your floppy drive. After the scan is complete, the lost file will be displayed in Data Recovery Wizard, you can select them and recover them.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.