recovering erased partition

By samster2006
Sep 28, 2006
  1. I have Two drives on one of my PC's. E:\, and C:\
    C: Has windows installed onto it, but for some reason my computer will not boot up off it.
    E: HAD windows installed onto it, and that worked fine, my whole family HAD all their files on it until..

I was about to reinstall windows onto the C: Drive but accidentally erased the wrong partition (on my E: drive).
    Is there any way to get everything back off that erased partition without taking the drive out of the PC?

The computer doesnt have a floppy drive either.

EDIT: AAAAAH. All the programs I've seen are either exe's, I need bootable iso's or ones you need to buy.

Thank you.
  2. MrNoname

MrNoname TS Rookie

I know there's company that recover data (just search "recover lost data") you'll find something....BUT BE AWARE !!! It's CARZY expensive. (It cost 2000$ in Canada to recover a physical broken HD, to my company, because a user didn't save his file on the network........)

Also I know there's some software that can do the job. But it really depends of what happen to the HD.
  3. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,172

The most important thing to remember is DO NOT WRITE ANY MORE DATA TO THAT HDD!!! This will help keep your old data intact.

Also there are quite a few dos type recovery software files. However the easiest solution would be to take that HDD and put it into another computer and run the software from within windows. This will allow you to copy the recovered files over as well.

:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:
  4. samster2006

samster2006 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Yeah.. I know. Can I talk to you on MSN or IRC or something to explain it in detail?
  5. Gosugod

Gosugod TS Rookie Posts: 40

You have to configure your boot.ini file in order to boot from a specific partition. Once a partition is deleted all of the data is loss. I doubt it's even recoverable considering theres no file system on that partition anymore(fat32,ntfs). There are programs and businesses out there that to recover deleted data. They recover all of the clusters of data one by one. each 512k(I think). Considering the partition was deleted I don't think the data exists anymore.

There's a backup utility that you can backup your harddrive with.
  6. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 5,431   +28

Try Hiren's BootDisk. U can get it thru the torrents since it's free to use (I think so. Used to be, not sure about now.). It comes with around 20-25 data recovery programs. It's basically a bootable ISO which u can burn onto CD and use to boot ur PC with. Then u can run the data recovery programs thru DOS. I highly recommend it.
  7. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

its time for that new hard drive
    recovery software 0.00 to 50.00 usd
    hard drive 100 usd
    time to get data back priceless

quote member price get data back
    or buy the program and do themselves
    look at sourceforge website for free apps to get your data back. nothing to it ,you can do it
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.