Recovers from serious error, suspicious of my dvd-r burner

Status
Not open for further replies.

nordberg25

Several shut downs and when restarted get the "recovered from serious error message" sometimes for no reason, but guaranteed to shut down while I'm transferring files from my dvdr/cdr/ to my computer.

Memory check passed, chk disk run with errors that were fixed, and did a defrag, also pulled memory and cleaned with eraser, so I guess next step is minidumps and c:logfile.txt (or whatever its called) :)

Running xp pro
athlon +2400
512 mb ram
nvidia nforce2 geforce4 mx vga bios
burner is BTC DRW 1008IM

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

3 of you minidumps crash at SYMEVENT.SYS. This is part of your Symantec/Norton security product. Do your self a favour, and get rid of this crap buggy software, and use a different security product(not McAfee).

1 crashes at CLASSPNP.SYS, and points to GEARAspiWDM.sys. This is part of your Gear software drivers. Try updating the drivers.

1 crashes at ntoskrnl.exe. This is the Microsoft boot up kernel. This may be related to your other crashes.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks for your time, I wish I could read all that minidump foreign language (I tried)!

What do you recommend for antivirus software?

I deleted Norton and remove the gear drivers, and went 2 days with no crashes, had one today, if you have time could you check what caused this one?

Thank you very much for your help, that norton was a real pain, if I would've had some unsaved work during that I might have broke something LOL.

Your latest minidump crashes at NVENET.sys. This is your Nvidia nForce MCP Networking Driver.

Make sure you are using the latest Nvidia mobo drivers etc.

Regards Howard :)

I was a little bummed out when you told me that the nVidia driver caused a crash, as a matter of fact I had just went to the nvidia site and downloaded the latest driver. Things have been going fine now since your last post, but now, I barely had time to zip the minidumps and send the emails to another computer before the next crash. These are bad, they crash within two minutes of windows startup or windows will just freeze up. I am about ready to buy a new computer.

Here is the latest catastrophe of dumps, thanks again for your time.

If you have a mainboard with an nVidia chipset and if you use the nVidia chipset drivers, this may well be at the root of your problems. nVidia chipset drivers have been known to occasionally wreak havoc in connection with DVD rewriters made by BTC.

You can find a number of posts relating to this issue in the BTC forum here. Just search for nVidia. To make a long story short - unless I'm mistaken very much, the general consensus appeared to be that it's best to scrap nVidia chipset drivers when you're running a BTC DVD burner and rely on the drivers that come with Windows.

HTH, Martin A

howard_hopkinso can you take a look at these, my question is, should I dump this computer and get a new one, or can I salvage it with a clean install of xp. I am including the 9 last dumps after the !analyze -v code (woohoo, i learned how to do it!!!) I put asterisks after each dump so you can read them. Oh and also, I just bought two new ram sticks and replaced the old ones.

P.S. I am in safe mode now (about 20 minutes with no bsod) never would i make it this long in regular mode.

Your minidumps are crashing with win32k.sys/ntsokrnl/wdmaud.sys/memory corruption.

They have bugcheks of 8E/50/7F

0x0000008E: KERNEL_MODE_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

A kernel mode program generated an exception which the error handler didn’t catch. These are nearly always hardware compatibility issues (which sometimes means a driver issue or a need for a BIOS upgrade).

0x00000050: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Requested data was not in memory. An invalid system memory address was referenced. Defective memory (including main memory, L2 RAM cache, video RAM) or incompatible software (including remote control and antivirus software) might cause this Stop message, as may other hardware problems (e.g., incorrect SCSI termination or a flawed PCI card).

0x0000007F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

One of three types of problems occurred in kernel-mode: (1) Hardware failures. (2) Software problems. (3) A bound trap (i.e., a condition that the kernel is not allowed to have or intercept). Hardware failures are the most common cause (many dozen KB articles exist for this error referencing specific hardware failures) and, of these, memory hardware failures are the most common.

You have some kind of hardware problem.

This could be ram/video ram/L2 cache ram of your cpu/mobo/psu

Try running your system with just one stick of ram.

Make sure that your system is not overclocked in any way including your ram.

Check your mobo for bulging, or leaking capacitors. See HERE for more info.

Check that your psu is putting out enough power for your system.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back