"recovery drive full." error message Hewlett Packard Pavillion Hp dv2500

Status
Not open for further replies.
[third attempt to post]
I recently bought a brand new Hewlett Packard computer. It prompts you to back up your files and gives you the option of selecting the backup drive 'd' or writing to dvd. I selected writing to the backup drive.

The system tried to backup my files but sent an error message 'recovery drive full' It continues to prompt me to backup my files.

I solved this problem by going to the HP website, clicking on 'troubleshooting' and entering the details of my computer. I then found an FAQ somehow.

The page explained that I had been wrong to select the d drive to back up my files (how foolish of me to choose one of two options offered.) It said that the D drive was only small. I must delete the file already created there and then change the settings to create a backup onto a dvd drive instead.

You delete the backed up copy of the file by going to start/computer/HP recovery d/ where the first folder you will find will be one with the name of your computer eg. in my case Anna-PC. You then delete this file.

You then go to start and type 'backup' in the search box. Select 'backup and restore center' then 'change settings' then 'change backup settings' then give your permission to continue, then select 'DVD rw drive e' which describes itself as 'on a hard disc, cd or dvd' .

I wondered if there had been some sort of design error. Why did they give me that option if it was not a good place to save a backup. I would have thought there was little point of making a backup on the same pc you are backing up anyway. Had they intended people to back things up there but not allowed enough space? [2.2gb is quite a lot of space after all] Many people must have stored less than 2.2 gb there in blissfull ignorance that it is the 'wrong place.' I am rather mystified.

Actually what concerns me more is, I wonder if you have deleted files in your recovery partition.
It's usually hidden from inside Windows, so I expect no. But by chance did you receive a Windows CD or just a recovery partition (because the recovery files may now be gone)

As for the location, think of it this way, it will show all areas that you can backup to. I think even the floppy drive (if you have one) this is to give you the full choice, instead of putting restrictions on your own computer (which most don't like)

That's why.

Yes you have some sort of "abnormal" problem, because usually, the recovery drive is a hidden partition that is not easily accessed... in fact you usually must have a disc's help to access that partition.
Since it is brand new, I would phone HP tecnical support and ask for a repair or replacement.
It must still be under warranty. This is a problem for tech support so you do not void your warranty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back