recovery/repair XP home

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
I read the post here https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html but the recovery console just stops at C:/WINDOWS>

I am using XP SP2 with the latest updates. This all started when I renamed the admin name, and also changed it to the setting to use the Welcome Screen only. Oops: Now when I reboot there is no user to the right of "to begin, click your user name". It is blank.

I cannot start in safe mode because the reboot stops at my video card driver. (bug) :blackeye:

I can successfully boot with the Windows XP CD from an XP Pro laptop I have. I enter into the Windows XP Recovery Console. It asks me for the admin pw and it accepts it and returns C:/WINDOWS>

Now I have no idea what to do to regain access to my XP admin rights. Please help!

TIA! Leafgreen :dead:

Thanks Rik. I did this and here's what happened. Previously, I renamed the Administrator username "adminusername". Now, there are only two users: adminusername and a disabled Guest. When I type adminusername and the password I get a Login Message "Unable to log you on because of an account restriction." What should I do now?

See if you can delete the admin name and put your usual user name and password in. If not, try booting into safemode by pressing F8 just before windows begins to load.
If neither of there work then reinstalling windows will probably be the only way to fix the problem.

The instructions you quote here https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic8356.html are meant to be followed when booting from Windows install CD. Entering the recovery console by using F8 before the loading screen will do exactly as you described.

Having fubar'd the Administrator account, your only real options are to repair or reinstall the OS. Upgrade in place is the least destructive, but you will need to reinstall your programs.

If your install CD doesn't boot on this PC, check your BIOS for the boot order, make sure CD/DVD is before any Hard Drive. Getting to the BIOS varies according to system/mobo manufacturer - check board or system docs for instructions.

YosefM said:
...... Upgrade in place is the least destructive, but you will need to reinstall your programs.
that's not true!
i'm not sure what upgrade in place is. he's not upgrading from a lower version of windows, like 98 or something. i think you mean over the top install or repair install. and no, it will not wipe out your programs. if you have programs, it will recogize them and keep them intact. the same happens when you upgrade from 98 to xp. it keeps your programs.

you also don't need to boot from xp cd. you can go to the xp cd, navigate to the I386 folder and run program winnt32.exe from windows or winnt.exe from dos.

Yes, it is a repair, and shouldn't really be called an upgrade, but upgrade in place is what MS calls it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back