recurring virus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm running Windows '98 on a Athlon machine with cable modem access.....
I know I have a virus... it reboots my machine at will...it keeps turning off every firewall and anit-virus I install.... After several frustrating tries I can finally get my firewall to stay started and I can run virus scans... Although the virus scans report nothing found after it finishes I don't have any problems... until the next time I boot up.... then I have to go through it all again...... HELP!!! I know the virus must be in my startup or system files but I can find nothing.....

check registry start-up entries, your startup folder, and running processes for anything suspicious. if it looks like it shouldn't be there, look up the file name on google.

Try running a different AV. If its a virus and you run a popular AV such as norton, it could be programmed to hide from its scans. Perhaps an AVG 7 trial might pick it up.

If you can, try running an online, web-based anti virus scan since your virus may be inhibiting your software's ability to properly detect viruses.

Symantec has a nice one, as well as several other companies. These sites will not remove the virus, but they will detect and it and we can go from there. Depending on what it is, the removal instructions will vary.

The AVG 7 found the virus/trojan and cleaned it up, although AVG really hosed my machine up. I had to use it and then uninstall it.
FYI the virus/trojan did not disable ZoneAlarm like it did BlackIce and MacAfee firewalls. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back