Red Alert 2 LAN playing problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello.
I'm having a quite annoying problem.. hope that you'll be able to help me..
I was trying to play Red Alert 2 with my friend on LAN, but it didn't really work.
I know that this game requires IPX protocol on both comps in order to work, and I enabled it, but it didn't help.
I have two network cards on each of the comps, and enabled IPX protocols in all of them. I also tried all forms of IPX Frame Types on both of the computers, but it still didn't work.

I was told to try and test DirectPlay via the DirectX. At first, the two comps couldn't even detect each other, but when i changed the Frame Type to Ethernet II / Ethernet 802.2 - one of the comps did detect the other, but couldn't connect to it for some reason.

I was also told that RA2 works on IPX Frame Type 802.3, but as I said, I've already tried that, and it didn't work..

I'm using a crossover cable, not a router, and network is working with ICS.
The host comp's OS is Win XP, and the other is Win 98 SE..

Help would be greatly appreciated :]
TIA.

Windows 98SE doesnt support certian types of network, you will probably not be able to connect to the other computer using Xp.

Have you tried setting up the network from the begining on the 98se pc and connect to it via the xp pc.

Also you need one pc configured as server or master, if they are both slaves then they may not be able to use some network features.

Alex

gamingguy27 said:
Windows 98SE doesnt support certian types of network, you will probably not be able to connect to the other computer using Xp.

Have you tried setting up the network from the begining on the 98se pc and connect to it via the xp pc.

Also you need one pc configured as server or master, if they are both slaves then they may not be able to use some network features.

Alex

First of all, thanks for the reply.
I'm not sure that the problem is with the Win 98SE, because I manage to play other games on LAN, which use TCP/IP. Therefore, I assumed that the problem must be related to the IPX configurations, but I still didn't manage to spot it..

The comp with the XP OS is the master (mentioned before that it's the host.. was confused with the terms :] ), i.e when I want to surf on the internet from the comp with the 98SE, I first need to turn on the one with the XP, so they're not both slaves..
I didn't try to set up from the beginning the network on the comp with the 98SE, because the second one is quite better (if that has any relevance at all).

IP + Subnet adress values

The ip values should be the same with one small difference, eg.

Xp pc should have a ip like: 192.168.0.1

were as 98se pc should be somthing like: 192.168.0.2,

The 98se pc should have a subnet adress of 255.255.255.0 or similar, the gateway adress should be the same as the xp pc: 192.168.0.1.

If these values are correct and both pcs have file sharing enabled, then you should be able to connect to the other pc via either the above values or through the network created.

Gamingguy: IPX has absolutely nothing to do with IP

Riddler: try searching these forums for IPX for some suggestions what to do. Also, try turning off all software firewalls in case they like to block non-IP traffic. I would also suggest downloading and insgtalling the Netware client from Novell to get the non-Microsoft IPX stack.

gamingguy27 said:
The ip values should be the same with one small difference, eg.

Xp pc should have a ip like: 192.168.0.1

were as 98se pc should be somthing like: 192.168.0.2,

The 98se pc should have a subnet adress of 255.255.255.0 or similar, the gateway adress should be the same as the xp pc: 192.168.0.1.

If these values are correct and both pcs have file sharing enabled, then you should be able to connect to the other pc via either the above values or through the network created.

Hmm, maybe that's the problem..
The 98SE PC's IP is 0.0.0.0 (that's what winipcfg gives.. whatismyip.com gives the XP PC's IP..), so is the subnet, and it has no gateway address..
Second PC is o.k..
Although, I'm not sure that this is the problem.. As I mentioned, I manage to play other games on the LAN, but it start to be problematic when it comes to IPX..

Nodsu said:
Gamingguy: IPX has absolutely nothing to do with IP

Riddler: try searching these forums for IPX for some suggestions what to do. Also, try turning off all software firewalls in case they like to block non-IP traffic. I would also suggest downloading and insgtalling the Netware client from Novell to get the non-Microsoft IPX stack.

Thanks for the advices.
I tried searching for IPX, and found some interesting and related results, but none of the helped me..

One said that he fixed the problem by "diabling Routing and remote Access Service in Active Directory" / "RRAS in Active Directory must be disabled" - although I didn't really understand what does that mean. I think it's related to the router or something, but as I said, I don't have one.

Someone else said that I should make these settings for the IPX Protocol in all comps:
Internal network number = 00000000
Frametype = Ethernet 802.3
Network number = 00000001
I did so, in both of of my network cards on the XP PC, but I didn't find "Internal network number" in the 98SE comp, only "Network Address", and I set it to 00000001 (though it automatically changes it to " 1".

In another thread, i read that "NetBEUI Protocol" should be installed, but I didn't find it (and I don't really thinks it's related anyhow).

I also read one thread, where someone had the exact problem I have (only in Red Alert 1), and he fixed it, and said that the problem was that his brother had his LAN connection set "as a bridge" - I don't really know what does that mean, and how can I change this.

One interesting post was here (the 4th):
https://www.techspot.com/vb/all/windows/t-28045-Home-ethernet-network-problem-with-file-sharing.html
But it didn't really help either..

Regarding your suggestions:
About the firewall - I have Norton Internet Security and the XP's firewall - BOTH disabled.
About the Netware client - I already have this one on the XP comp (it says "NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol"), although this is not quite written on the 98SE comp..

Hope that you'll be able to help me. TIA.

That NWLink thing is the IPX that comes with Windows and is supplied by Microsoft. Uninstall that and download the Novell client from www.novell.com.

Nodsu said:
That NWLink thing is the IPX that comes with Windows and is supplied by Microsoft. Uninstall that and download the Novell client from www.novell.com.
Are you sure that uninstalling what I already have won't cause any problems?

Is this should be installed on both comps (XP and 98SE)?

I currently have 2 NWLink "items" installed (on each of the network cards):
- NWLink NetBIOS
- NWLink IPX/SPX/NetBIOS Compatible Transport Protocol
(I know it looks weird I have "NetBIOS" twice, but that's how it is)
Should I delete both of the items? As I said, I don't want to mess with further prolems..

BTW, I prefer not to mess around with complicated sofwares, as my comp is already messed up. I'm sure that there should be any way to fix this, without downloading other softwares. I read about other people who did (given in my previous post.. Although I didn't understand their solutions.. May you explain them for me?)

Uninstalling will not delete anything. You can always add them back using the "Install.." button.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back