Redhat 7.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

PHATMAN5050

Well hello everyone, redhat 7.3 works on my computer so far! Unfortunately i believe i formatted my windows partition but i guess that is ok...i have some questions though...

how do i enable 4speakers?

Are there certain linux drivers for creative labs cards? Alot of programs assosciated with the card arent in linux and therefor fewer options. Any luck with this? Thanks!

actually my cheap sound blaster pci128 is autodetected by most modern distributions. as far as 4 speakers go i'm not sure surround sound is supported (it may be). its bad enough just getting drivers for basic stuff, sifting thru rpms and stuff ;)

i am downloading the new redhat7.3
and going to give it a try since my win2k adv server is dying

i never used linux before, do i need to notice anything special when i install or use? do i have to know all the commands to use it like dos? or i can fully access to all the adv settings just from the GUI? :rolleyes:

PHAT MAN: Creative has some Linux drivers, check out Creative Open Source page. There aren't much "advanced" features like EAX &c.
I'm using standard Linux kernel EMU10k1 driver and the rear speakers "work", though there's no 3D sound in games. It's just like two front speaker sets.

SleeperDC:
For installation, read (if possible, through) Installing Linux for the first time (dual boot
Information for Linux users
You can do most of the daily stuff in GUI, for command line check
Master List of 379 Linux Commands

I seem to have a big problem...This was my setup

HDD 1-40gig-NTFS-WinXP PRo
HDD 2-30gig-Redhat7.3

When i installed redhat7.3 on my second hard drive it erased the master boot record for winxp...i think...When i started up my computer with only the winxp hd in, it would boot and it would have L with nothing else, it wouldn't boot into the operating system or anything. I talked with a couple of people in the irc and on aim, and they said to insatll redhat7.3 again and this time make a mount for winxp stated in the DUAL BOOTING WITH LINUX AND WINXP and i followed it all. The only change i made was to change it to MAKE MBR ON PARTITION. Now when i bootup with both hard drives in it has an 'Li' and it doesnt boot into linux anymore without the linux boot disk. I tried to restore xp with the cd, and i hit 'r' for repair and it goes into a command prompt. In the prompt it just had C: and nothing after it. I typed HELP and it had FIXMBR as one of the choices so i did FIXMBR and it didnt really think or anything it just went onto the next line without saying anything. Basically, what i want to do now is get WinXP back and once that is repaired i will start again with linux. Hopefully this all is clear because it is incedibly confusing for me! Thanks!!

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
I seem to have a big problem...This was my setup

HDD 1-40gig-NTFS-WinXP PRo
HDD 2-30gig-Redhat7.3

When i installed redhat7.3 on my second hard drive it erased the master boot record for winxp...i think...When i started up my computer with only the winxp hd in, it would boot and it would have L with nothing else, it wouldn't boot into the operating system or anything. I talked with a couple of people in the irc and on aim, and they said to insatll redhat7.3 again and this time make a mount for winxp stated in the DUAL BOOTING WITH LINUX AND WINXP and i followed it all. The only change i made was to change it to MAKE MBR ON PARTITION. Now when i bootup with both hard drives in it has an 'Li' and it doesnt boot into linux anymore without the linux boot disk. I tried to restore xp with the cd, and i hit 'r' for repair and it goes into a command prompt. In the prompt it just had C: and nothing after it. I typed HELP and it had FIXMBR as one of the choices so i did FIXMBR and it didnt really think or anything it just went onto the next line without saying anything. Basically, what i want to do now is get WinXP back and once that is repaired i will start again with linux. Hopefully this all is clear because it is incedibly confusing for me! Thanks!!

Oh, here we go another dummy installs LILO to the MBR and not the bootsector of / as I have said many times.

Boot from your Linux boot disk and post the contents of your /etc/lilo.conf file here.

Then we will talk.

Ok, i fixed that problem myself...now i just have a tiny one i think...

My setup is now like this:

40gig-NTFS-Winxp
20gig-FAT32-Shared drive for mp3s and so on...
10gig-Redhat 7.3

A couple things...

I read in your manual p66 that you can make linux and windows both see the 20 gig which has the mp3s on it, how exactly is this done?

Secondly, if i add in that line to the end of my boot.ini file it just restarts my computer when i choose linux. In the install it wouldn't let me mount my winxp drive since it is NTFS. Is there any way to have this done?

Basically what i want done is have the drive configuration the way it is, also i want to be able to choose LINUX or WINXP on boot-up. Thanks!

Well you could start by posting your /etc/lilo.conf file like I asked you to!

Also include the /etc/fstab file, and....

type this:

cat /proc/partitions > partitions.txt

in the command prompt and then post that here as well.

So you are posting three files here:

1) /etc/lilo.conf

2) /etc/fstab

3) partitions.txt

Then I can work out

a) what's wrong with your boot config, and

b) what line to add to /etc/fstab so that the mp3s partitions shall be accessible in linux under something like /mnt/mp3s or something....

I also have another question:

Do you log in to linux as root (bad) or have you created another account for logging in??? Like Phatman5050 account or something???

If you, then please type this command:

more /etc/passwd | grep "Phatman5050" > myaccount.txt

and include the myaccount.txt file as well. What I get from here is an extra piece of information that allows me to add another argument to /etc/fstab to that your non-root account gets write access to the FAT32 mp3s partition.

If you could have windows 2K/XP without the OS loader it wouldn't be so bad to have Lilo. Since you can't have one without the other, it's a pain to have to select winXP from Lilo & then from there select WinXP from the OS loader. That's why most people choose to use OS loader & just add a Linux entry to it.

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
I don't understand why people think LILO can't be used for multibooting. It can. Bootloader doesn't need to be NT's own.

I certainly never said that it couldn't be. However its harder to configure (for linux newbiez) and look at the sorts of mess folks are getting into working with it. If they have NT Bootloader available its time to use that, I think. They should not have to be a Linux guru to be able to manage their bootloader; all it should take is one text file (boot.ini) and one text editor (edit.exe)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back