TechSpot

RedHat Startup : getting rid of that error message

By Didou
Feb 25, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. While recompiling the kernel I took out the USB HID support ( USB Human Interface Device ) so I don't have any such devices on the machine.

RedHat still wants to start them & I end up having a bunch of error messages at bootup. I've located where it's initialised in the /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.

This is the whole section :

needusbstorage=
    if [ $usb = "1" ]; then
    needusbstorage=`LC_ALL=C grep -e "^I.*Cls=08" /proc/bus/usb/devices 2>/dev/null`
    LC_ALL=C grep 'hid' /proc/bus/usb/drivers || action $"Initializing USB HID
    interface: " modprobe hid 2> /dev/null
    action $"Initializing USB keyboard: " modprobe keybdev 2> /dev/null
    action $"Initializing USB mouse: " modprobe mousedev 2> /dev/null
    fi

Would it be safe to comment out this part ?
  2. Phantasm66

Phantasm66 TS Rookie Posts: 6,504   +6

If you run ntsysv (as root, with root's environment (its not in any of the standard user paths) can you stop the USB HID being started on startup?

Of course, you could always try what you have suggested as well. But only after backing up the original file, or course.
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Actually it shouldn't want to load this stuff if you don't have any USB HID device drivers installed but wel know all about "should" and Linux..

You can safely comment out everythig. Even neater would be to change the if clause to be always false. E.g. [ $usb = "imdefinentlynottrue" ]
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.