Reduced download speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrFox

Hi folks. I've recently been experiencing a massive reduction in my download speed. 500kbps down to ~49kpbs.

The only changes that coincide with the anamoly is the installation of the new IE7. But I didn't notice it immediately, so I don't think that is the problem.

Unfortunately, I don't have access to the modem or router that is supplying my connection. My landlord has claimed that everything is working fine on his end and he says the ISP (Batelco) is reporting the same thing.

My NIC (Intel Pro 100 on the 865GBF mobo) is reporting to be connected at 100Mbps.

Here's the funny part. My upload speed is unchanged. So, I'm downloading at ~49kbps, and uploading at the normal ~205kbps.

I've enabled and disabled the connection severa times, even used Repair. But nothing seems to be working.

Any ideas on this? Thanks for the help.

EDIT: Oh, and I've run Crap Cleaner, Ad-Aware, and my AVG antivirus is up to date and running.

A. Just try a different browser for the heck of it

B. Have you made any other major software changes?

C. Who shares this connection with you (on the router)

AtK,
Thanks for the response,

A. It's not just the browser, my online games are showing the same thing.

B. No.

C. As far as I know, only his home comuter(s?). It's a strange arrangement. His home is right next door to mine and he just has a LAN cable between the houses. I'm in Bahrain and the houses are only a few feet from eachother. God, I can't wait to come home. :p

I just tried reinstalling the drivers. No change.

Oh, you know what? I just started using iTunes for my new iPod. Come to think of it, that's really when I noticed the drop, but only after a fe downloads. I've been downloading TV Shows, and they are anywhere from 400 to 600MB. It was going finr for a while until I noticed the drop. Do you think iTunes could have jumbled up some init or registry settings?

iTunes is a deffinate hog of ban with(sp) and I as one that has been behind it can say I am surprissed he is not the one complaining.

nickc said:
iTunes is a deffinate hog of ban with(sp) and I as one that has been behind it can say I am surprissed he is not the one complaining.
If I were in the middle of a download, sure. I can see it eating away at the bandwidth. But this is happening even when iTunes is off.

I may just get a new card. An actual PCI NIC. This one is on the mobo, and it's about 2 years old. I just find it odd that my upstream is 4 times as fast as my downstream.

Is it possible that is could be the LAN cable itself? That could explain why my upload is not affected? Right? Maybe? :confused:

Well it could be. It could also be your neighbor is hogging alot of the bandwidth, by downloading alot of things at once.

AtK SpAdE said:
Well it could be. It could also be your neighbor is hogging alot of the bandwidth, by downloading alot of things at once.
He's gonna change the cable today.

I could see you point about him downlaoding stuff, but I don't think that's the problem. I think he would have mention something about that under the circumstances of my complaint.

Your problem is iTunes. Uninstall it and your DL-speed will be back to normal.
ITunes does its lurking stuff in the background, it just sits there waiting for you to make another download, all the time wasting bandwidth while waiting for something to do!

Try a ctrl+alt+del to launch task manager. Select Processes. Find Ituneshelper, right click, end process. Next, find iPodservice, right click, end process.
See if you speed improves. These processes will reload at next startup.
Monton

Do you know anything about your current connection? The plan your landlord is on may downgrade your speed once a certain GB limit has been reached.
You may find next month you will be fast again. My ISP does this but thankfully I pay extra and receive no limit.
Your PC does not appear to be the problem, iTunes cant account for this kind of problem ... I mean sure, it checks the net for licencing reasons, but thats not enough to throttle your bandwidth so greatly! No one would use it if it cut your bandwidth in half or more!

Ask your landlord what the D/L limit is ... I reckon that's it :grinthumb

RealBlackStuff said:
Your problem is iTunes. Uninstall it and your DL-speed will be back to normal.
ITunes does its lurking stuff in the background, it just sits there waiting for you to make another download, all the time wasting bandwidth while waiting for something to do!
sorry, just not true. I've monitored port usage and
iTunes doesn't access anything until you start it and there's not need to have
it Autostart nor AutoUpdate.

Well, as it turns out, with enough poking and prodding at the land lord and giving him the prospect of changing out equipment and such, I believe he actually "talked" to the provider this time.

Turnd out they were having problems and said they would be back up, and they were.

Just goes to show you how quick people [the land lord] will tell you it's your machine. That's always the assumption.

He kept telling me "No, no, it must be your machine."

I didn't have the heart to tell him I built it, and that barring any degraded equipment (my mobo IS 2 years old) there is nothing wrong with it.

Thanks for the help though folks.

MrFox said:
Just goes to show you how quick people [the land lord] will tell you it's your machine. That's always the assumption.

He kept telling me "No, no, it must be your machine."

I didn't have the heart to tell him I built it,
good insight! 99% of the world would assume "You can't possibly do that correctly" and dump you compaint on the floor.

IMO, always tell'm "It's an IBM PC so I know it's good"
[ ie: force their assumption to your benefit :) ]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back