reducing the cpu usage while video conversion

Status
Not open for further replies.
hi,
I have Winavi & quicktime video converters while converting avi files to vcd or dvd the cpu speed goes upto 99% or 100% so while converting i can't use any other applications so please tell me how to reduce cpu usage while converting.
specs: CPU P4 Intel 2.4Ghz, RAM 1GB, Mobo D845GEBV2

Assuming that you have such silly programs that do not let you choose the process priority.. After starting the conversion, open up the processes view in Task Manager and set the priority of your CPU-hogging process to low.

Winavi is pretty good programme, i set the priority to low nothing works, while using Nero 7 cpu usage still goes to 100%.

Set whatever program is using 100% to low priority. Its still going to use as much cpu as it can get, but setting it to low will allow other programs to steal away the cpu when they need it.

Video conversion by nature is a very CPU intensive process, you should be doing conversions when you can afford to let it convert, not when you need to be doing other things. So setting the priority is your 2nd real option after doing it at different times. Your 3rd option is to upgrade your CPU/RAM.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back