TechSpot

(REFERENCE_BY_POINTER) BSOD on VISTA shutdown

By prawnsalad
Jun 11, 2007
  1. HI All

I am having a nasty time with this "REFERENCE_BY_POINTER" STOP error during shutdown in vista.

It happens just before the machine actually powers off.

From what I have read it is linked to driver issues, I have tried various things ie: MSCONFIG disable all / removing unsigned drivers etc but it wont go away and I figure the only thing that will help is understanding the minidump but I just cant figure out what they mean.

So I have uploaded it for anyone interested to look at and offer their comments.

Many thanks in advance..

Attached Files:

2. peterdiva

peterdiva TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 1,088

That dump's crashed at zmxpzip.sys, and the process is MXTask.exe. There's not a lot of info, but it looks to belong to something from Allume Systems. Do you recognise it?

BugCheck 18, {0, 85790c00, 2, ffffffff}
    Probably caused by : zmxpzip.sys ( zmxpzip+1b854 )
    81b9f000 81bff300 zmxpzip zmxpzip.sys Sat Apr 30 01:31:47 2005 (42726F83)

3. prawnsalad

prawnsalad TS Rookie Topic Starter

Spot on!

It was indeed a program by Allume Systems (Stuffit Deluxe v9) the stop error disappeared as soon as I removed it.

Thanks so much for your help I had tried analysing the dump myself using the latest MS debugger but couldnt get the output you did.

Any tips on using it in the future? I tried following a thread that gave instructions on usage including an http address to download symbols but kept getting errors.

Either way thanks again.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.