Referenced Memory Error

Status
Not open for further replies.
I reinstalled Windows XP on a Sony VAIO because of a "0x0012d85a referenced memory at 0x00000023. memory could not read" error and other corrupt files.

During installation and updates, restarting the computer was fine.

But now that the computer is fully updated, when i shut it down, it produces the same error about referencing memory again.

Any ideas why or what i should do to solve this problem?

Hi,

The problem may be related to faulty ram or software error. Zip the DrWatson log and attach the zip file here (note it may be very huge and this forum only accepts attachment not more than 100K. I only want the latest DrWatson log).

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Documents\DrWatson\drwtsn32.log

Yes Dr. Watson is on every XP computer. I don't particularly like it though. Have you run any antispyware or antivirus programs to see if your Vaio has infections. Is your antivirus program up to date?

Yea i have, Norton - Live Update - all up to date.
I also did memory tests on it, about 10 of them, and it passed all of them.
Only thing i havent done soo far is opening the case and disconnecting the sticks and reconnecting.

Also, i read this thing about resetting the virtual memory or re-calibrating it or something, does this sound familiar and a good idea???

I have a XP Pro Compaq Presario here that was giving me a low virtual memory error... It was full of spyware and 3 Trojan viruses. A format clean install got rid of the memory warning and all the other baddies

You may be able to restore your computer using the Sony restore feature. Back up all you important data. I don't think resetting or recalibrating will work

BLK*LEX said:
I have actually done the restore on it already....so any corrupt files would have been taking care of.

... and you still get the memory warning? Change the computers memory!

run memtest 86+ booted from a floppy if you suspect bad ram. Run for at least 7 passes. Any errors are bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back