Referenced memory error

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK.....
Now I am completely frustrated with this system... Amidst the issues with the Video card, I am now experiencing issues with a memory error. When I play the game City of Heroes, I get about 10 minutes into gameplay and I get the error message

"The instruction at "0x697450e3 referenced memory at "0x00003518". The memory could not be "read". Click here to terminate the program.

Now I have tried many things to solve this issue including:

Taking out the RAM and switching it around
Taking out individual RAM sticks to see if one or more sticks are faulty
Running a memory test(alienware recommended) and passed a 4 hour stress on both CPU and RAM
Reseating the Video Card
Defragging the Hard Drive
Running an error checking on the C Drive(both boxes)
turning off the anti-virus, anti spam, and firewall programs
turning up the virtual memory to 3500/ 10000
Turning on the DEP program to include all programs
clearing my cache, history and internet cookies
running spyware checker
running virus check
turning off Accelerated Graphics
turning on addition video card fans (Function F2)
checking for any Windows XP updates(none)
reinstalling the game program
Passsed 3DMark program but with only 7Fps

.................Please give me some help here. The only thing I havent tried to my knowledge is to reinstall Windows and I would rather not have to due to losing all my data.

Alienware Area-51 Laptop M7700
2GRam
GeForce Go6800 Ultra 256Ram
80G HD
Windows Xp Pro

Odd things to try:

Clear the Windows/Temp folder.

Set HTTP1.1 in IE tools advanced off/on depending where it is now. Also, set auto checks off there as well.

Set your AGP aperture in bios to 64/128 (whichever it presenly is make it the other).

Check what auto-updaters you have running at startup and disable them using msconfig (easy to re-enable that way).

OK did the first two steps but how do I set the AGP departure in the bios?? I tried to find it in the set up but didnt see where to change.. A little help.

BTW..Your ideas worked but got a blue screen 3 times in a row after restart. Id like to do the final step to make sure I cover it all.

THanks

Ok maybe you can help me with this one....I reinstalled my old GeForce Go6800 Ultra .... crashing bios problem over!..However the same issue of overheating during gameplay after 15-20 minutes is back. How can I turn down the heat and or keep the VC from freezing up my laptop.

Also one wierd thing is that now upon restart I got a new message that I never had before...The same referenced memory error but new numbers they are...

0x7c910f2b at 0x00000004 could not be read

ANy ideas here??

Thank you in advance

I probably wouldn't like this answer myself but from the wording you've used and my understanding of the problem, i smell conflict.

Download and run driver cleaner, follow the instructions carefully and elt me know how it goes

Ran Driver cleaner and ALSO DLed a new mobile driver from TweakRUs.com.....I tried the new XTreme-G MobileForce XP 94.20 M4 driver...Actually working better...problems are now different. I am able to get about 30 minutes of gameplay and now instead of freezing, the computer restarts with no error reported upon restart. I think that it still may be a heat issue but could possibly be the the settings are not right.

Thank you again...

Check in your bios and see if there is a setting about applying an interrupt (IRQ) to the graphics card.

As far as gpu heating on the 6800's, it is usually due to crud in the heatsink or dirty/mal-operating fan.

OK cleaned out the heatsink...wasnt much dust but a little...I made it about an hour, heated up and a new referenced memory error with :

0x69624206 at 0x0000aa90

any ideas on where this one is from?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back