Reformating HD issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cos

Hi Guys,
Hope all are well. I want to reformat my hard drive. I can backup my drive to a removable drive. The problem is the XP disc i have is pre service pack.....period...... i think. Is it possible for me to reinstall windows, have a nice clean OS, reinstall all my valuable data, go back online, and download the 3 service packs?,or am i deluding myself?.
All the best.
Cos.

that should work, but I would change the order,
1- DL SP1 and SP2
2- disconnect
3- install SP1, SP2
4- enable the firewall
5- DL SP3 and install

now go add all your programs back and update them.

wow, dl? you mean delete Jo? and i don't want a dodgy disk backup, i would rather stick to my official windows hardcopy. Besides i am on service pack 3beta.
Anyway guys don't get me wrong i really appreciate your input, the first thing that impressed me with this site, was the responce and unbridled giving by Admin and members.
Just an aside: I read that microsoft would stop support for XP soon. Any idea when?

cos said:
and i don't want a dodgy disk backup, i would rather stick to my official windows hardcopy.
Making your own slipstreamed disc is Microsoft-supported as it is an 'official' solution for system admins. So, there's nothing dodge about it unless your burner is having some issues. :)

Just an aside: I read that microsoft would stop support for XP soon. Any idea when?
Security patches won't stop rolling out until 2014 according to Microsoft's lifecycle policy, but updates that add/improve features will stop after 2009.

Thanks Guys,
Not sure about the DL undownload reinstall, need more info. Appeciation is brimming forth like sun in a clear sky.
As far as ms updates are concerned, they just might have alot more bugs ironed out on vista by the time XP dies.
Thanks again all. Peas!

Sorry m8

jobeard said:
that should work, but I would change the order,
1- DL SP1 and SP2
2- disconnect
3- install SP1, SP2
4- enable the firewall
5- DL SP3 and install

now go add all your programs back and update them.
Sorry mate,
didn't take the time to read your message properly first time, you mean't post reinstall. Going to have to do something, iv'e lost MSN Explore, and my MSN toolbar in explorer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back