Reformating master hdd, wat will happen to slave hdd?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys,

bought an extra hdd and installed it as a slave under my master a few months ago and now i want to reformat my master. what will happen if i reformat my master? i wont lose any of the files on the slave hdd?

cheers
appreciated guys

As long as you choose the Master to format, then you won't have any issues with your files on the slave. Just make sure you have EVERYTHING YOU WANT BACKED UP!!!

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

Re new hard drive

Nothing if you pick the right hd option to install the OS.
You have to install the OS on the Primary Master.
To be safe don't connect it till you install the OS as Primary master.
Then connect it as it's slave.Just set the jumpers right.

poertner_1274 said:
As long as you choose the Master to format, then you won't have any issues with your files on the slave. Just make sure you have EVERYTHING YOU WANT BACKED UP!!!

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

thanks for the welcome :)

well i just reformatted and now my slave drive needs to be formated to access it. would there be any drivers or such dat i need? or sumthing to fix this with out formatting my slave drive? formating the my slave drive will delete all my files i guess? is there some process to make it recognize my slave drive?

so other den the above questions i guess it formatted my master and slave at da same time? coz i picked my master hdd formatted it and installed xp on it. its crap losing 250gb of data :(

also i didnt have a 250gb+ external hdd so dats y i didnt bak it up

sorry but did u read my 2nd post?
so just format my slave to get it working with all my files just like b4 i reformatted my master

No man.

You should format your master drive first, because that is your booting OS.

Once you install the whole things and is happy with it, you can just format your second hard drive via "My Computer" and right click on your D:\, format.

Or you can do this from the Disk management..

Right click on "My Computer" and select Manage...
Go to disk management.
Look for your secondary hard drive. You can right click on it and select format.

Make sure you take your data back before you do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back