Reformatted HDD and can't reintall window xp pro

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waseem

I've got a big problem on my hands. I've formatted my harddrive on my laptop. So trying to reintall XP Prp Sp2 and i get Caldera DR-DOS 7.03 and ended up on [DR-DOS] A:\> so i changed to D: and Ended up to [DR-DOS] D:/> the i typed in "i386/winnt". i ended up on Windows XP Setup but it says "internal setup error has occurred.Could not find a place for a swap file". Im so lost i need help please.

Take the Floppy out if there's one in there, insert the XP CD, and make sure the Laptop is set to Boot from CD - at the post scrren there's generally a few options along the bottom - like "F8 to change boot device".

Thats right

This will take you through all the steps to,
Format,Partition and install OS.Be patient and wait for key prompts,
Decide on Partition size(s) before you start.
If it's already partitioned then use C: to Format only and install XP.
I recommend at least 2 if you don't have more then 1 now.
You must have a genuine XP disc and Serial number ready.

Thank you ill will try it out ill update y'all soon enough its already giving me enough trouble as it is.

zipperman said:
This will take you through all the steps to,
Format,Partition and install OS.Be patient and wait for key prompts,
Decide on Partition size(s) before you start.
If it's already partitioned then use C: to Format only and install XP.
I recommend at least 2 if you don't have more then 1 now.
You must have a genuine XP disc and Serial number ready.

Zip...

1. People know how to be patient on windows xp pre-setup.

2. Always, always delete the existing partitions and format it ( Delete the partitions only on the booting drive). It erase the old MBR, allow the new one goes in, the more stability xp can get.

3. You will not recommend more than 1 partitions. Always uses the full disk, unless they want to do the dual / multi partitioning.

4. Waseem is using the modified CD. He should use the unmotified CD.

Zip... at least, re-read and research little bits. At your age, it is understandable, but it is not fair to other experienced users who are much younger than you are. Please read it properly and / or research it.

Maybe

But i guess you'll find fault in my post somewhere .
So you tell Waseem he doesn't have to be patient.
Quote: Thats what i said,
Delete the partitions only on the booting drive.
The booting drive can only be 1 Partition C:
As far as partitions i have a good reason for mentioning that.
I just reinstalled XP on my C: partition.
I have Movies on D and years of pictures on E: on 1 160 GB hard drive.
Do you advise me to format all my partitions too ? :D
It's a good idea and a good time for Waseem to create a partition
for his data he'd lose if it was on C:

So lets see his reply to my advice and stop posting to me.
Your breaking your own rules.;)

2. Always, always delete the existing partitions and format it ( Delete the partitions only on the booting drive). It erase the old MBR, allow the new one goes in, the more stability xp can get. Doesnt make sense to me

3. You will not recommend more than 1 partitions. Always uses the full disk, unless they want to do the dual / multi partitioning.[/I]

Whats the point of formatting all partitions? - thats the reason U have partitions, to store stuff in case - should I say when? - windows goes south.

Obviously, you want to scan them before you open any files in case there's Malware...

Maybe you mean do a proper Format on the old C: partition, not a quick one?

It is Friday, maybe you've had a few beers?;)

2. Always, always delete the existing partitions and format it ( Delete the partitions only on the booting drive). It erase the old MBR, allow the new one goes in, the more stability xp can get. Doesnt make sense to me

Okay, Suppose you have a old MBR that have a bad sector or infected. Deleting and make the new partitions erases MBR and makes the new one; windows xp may get little more cleaner than just reformat and reinstall.

3. You will not recommend more than 1 partitions. Always uses the full disk, unless they want to do the dual / multi partitioning.

Whats the point of formatting all partitions? - thats the reason U have partitions, to store stuff in case - should I say when? - windows goes south.

You missed my point there. Waseem didn't ask for the dual / multi partitions, so...

Always uses the full disk, unless they want to do the dual / multi partitioning.

:)

Obviously, you want to scan them before you open any files in case there's Malware...

Now that is not my problem, isn't it? Most users will just click around they like and they may get it. All they can do is come here and get clean. :)

Maybe you mean do a proper Format on the old C: partition, not a quick one?

Yes, that is recommendation. Performs the NTFS format. The quick format will says... "Format this partitions using NTFS (Quick)"

XP will get little more cleaner when fully formatted.

It is Friday, maybe you've had a few beers?;)

You are right. I posted this at about 12 o'clock in the morning.

Time to drinks :D

I think yall miss understanded, when i was reformatting xp on my laptop i just wanted to do it fast and leave to work. But what i did was really stupid was install xp over the same partiton which eventually gave me problems. the laptop got all confused and i could do nothingg to it. it was just restarting liike mad. So i decided to remove the whole HDD and connect to ma desktop and format it, thinking i can just boot up the xp cd with no probs, i thought wrong. So i put the xp cd in the drive and started up it ended up opening Caldera DR-DOS 7.03 which i dont know anything off,(dont know how to use commands) so it when through a whole list of things it was pretty fast couldnt read it, so it ended up stopping at [DR-DOS]A:\>. i dont know what to do from there am lost. how to run the xp cd or anything i simple dont know, i dont even know commands. HELP PLEASE.

Waseem

i was reformatting xp on my laptop i just wanted to do it fast and leave to work. But what i did was really stupid was install xp over the same partiton which eventually gave me problems.

Like i said in above, delete the partition and reformat it. ( You can delete the partition and quick format). This should save you a lot of troubles.

Reconnect your laptop HDD to computer
Right click on "My Computer" and click Manage...

Go to Disk Management

Look at your laptop hard drive.
right - click on it and delete partition. ( Not your C:\ :) )

Don't make new partition or reformat. Just delete it and disconnect the laptop

Put it back in the laptop and try again.
Remember, use the boot order such as F8 or F12 to select the cd as boot first.

Press any keys to enter the xp setup.

Try that one.

if i was to tell you that i reformatted my HDD which has nothing at all on it and by the way i dont see manage?

i was just wondering is it possible to install xp on ma desktop not on my laptop?

Waseem said:
I think yall miss understanded, when i was reformatting xp on my laptop i just wanted to do it fast and leave to work. But what i did was really stupid was install xp over the same partiton which eventually gave me problems. the laptop got all confused and i could do nothingg to it. it was just restarting liike mad. So i decided to remove the whole HDD and connect to ma desktop and format it, thinking i can just boot up the xp cd with no probs, i thought wrong. So i put the xp cd in the drive and started up it ended up opening Caldera DR-DOS 7.03 which i dont know anything off,(dont know how to use commands) so it when through a whole list of things it was pretty fast couldnt read it, so it ended up stopping at [DR-DOS]A:\>. i dont know what to do from there am lost. how to run the xp cd or anything i simple dont know, i dont even know commands. HELP PLEASE.

First you you can't be in a hurry.You have to be observent of whats happening.I just formated and reinstalled XP on my C drive.
So as i suspected no comment to me.
Do you want step by step directions ?
But You seem to just want to Format your hard drive,then what ?
You need an OS after that.
XP does it all in 1 process with the cd.
You don't involve Dos with XP like W95 days.
But answer this please,is your hard drive partitioned ?

Waseem said:
if i was to tell you that i reformatted my HDD which has nothing at all on it and by the way i dont see manage?

i was just wondering is it possible to install xp on ma desktop not on my laptop?
By asking this ? you don't have enough experience to do these things.
This tells me that, Quote :
" by the way i dont see manage?"

And replys here don't seem to sink in.
You need a computer Technision.

Waseem said:
Sure you can, but you can't use it in your laptop then.

I have no idea what you have done or what was going through you head when you were doing whatever it was you did. I read your posts and was just absolutely dumbfounded on what was going on.

Put the drive back in your laptop and quit screwing around with your desktop. Put the XP cd in your laptop and boot up off the XP cd. Install XP. It isn't hard.

zipperman said:
First you you can't be in a hurry.You have to be observent of whats happening.I just formated and reinstalled XP on my C drive.
So as i suspected no comment to me.
Do you want step by step directions ?
But You seem to just want to Format your hard drive,then what ?
You need an OS after that.
XP does it all in 1 process with the cd.
You don't involve Dos with XP like W95 days.
But answer this please,is your hard drive partitioned ?

By asking this ? you don't have enough experience to do these things.
This tells me that, Quote :
" by the way i dont see manage?"

And replys here don't seem to sink in.
You need a computer Technision.

I dont think its partitoned and i would love a step by step directions.

when u pace th cd in an is set to boot off the cd the first time it comes to the press any key to boot from cd hit the key and then Reformat C: and reinstall Windows do not ever hit the key again just let it install windows un till it get through.then take the cd out of the drive and u should be through.

You don't use DrDOS. Start up off the real XP install cd. The setup doesn't care if your hard drive is partitioned or not, the on screen instructions will walk you through partitioning and formatting. My first post in this thread (post #13) still stands as my advice until you can explain why that won't work.

Well SNGX1275

This is still getting more confuseing for me,what about you ?
Do you understand this,
Quote Waseem :
Caldera DR -DOS 7.03 starts up and ends at [DR-DOS]A:\> what yo do from then.
============
This was his first post,not sure now why i got involved.This never has been
explained.The Topic title and my reply hasn't been replied to.
Format and install are done in 1 process,no comment on that ?
============
Latest confusion,
I dont think its partitoned and i would love a step by step directions.
If we only new what you where trying to do.Tossing in your desktop
has really made things more confuseing.
So start over with a new thread,what are you trying to do ?

This is easiest things to do.

Plug in your laptop.

Leave it on for couple of seconds, close the auto-run.

STEP 1

STEP 2

STEP 3

After the partition is deleted, disconnect the hard drive and put it back in the laptop.

Boot it off the CD-ROM and you should be see the " Initalizing the setup files..."

Hope this helps?

Oh and Zip... if you are waiting for your reply, don't bother, you are old fart.

EDITED = Yes, Zip. I meant it.

Press DEL, F2 or F1 to enter the BIOS.

Head to this section.

bios_ed2ns_boot.gif

Save and exit,

the cd should start, all you have to watch for the setup to request to press any key to enter.

Good Luck then

Read the topic title again.
Every OS is on C:
We don't know yet if he has D,
But C is where you install window xp pro as asked.
It's already formated it says.
But i'll wait for his replies,it's my right.
;)

Zip, why don't you take your business elsewhere.

Waseem is having problem with laptop.

EDITED = Also, the OS can be on D:, E: or even Z:

Waseem said:
thanks fellas everything is a ok now (y) you'll where great help

Remember, please come back here if you want to help people out based on your experiences.

Or if you want to, make the new topic about other technical problems you have.

Thank you for stopping by, Waseem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back