Reformatted my hard drive with problems. Help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

I hope you are all well?

I have just been given a laptop for my son and i needed to wipe it. So i uploaded my vista on to it which seemed to go ok. Now i switch the wireless internet switch and on the Connection icon on the bottom right i open it and it will not let me search any wireless connections as it says i have not got a wireless network adapter installed?

So i went onto the Toshiba website and downloaded the correct drivers..Well i think there the correct drivers. as i can not get on to the internet i done this via another laptop in the house which is using wireless internet. I then put the driver onto a dvd disc and tried to put it in the Toshiba laptop and it will not read the disc at all? So i tried putting a normal dvd in there one of the kids and still will not read it..it sounds like it wants to read it then it just stops?

The model of the laptop is a Toshiba Satelite Pro L40

If anyone could help me i would be eternally grateful.

Thanks in Advance.

Hi and welcome, You said that it was 'given' to you so I am assuming its an used machine. Provided that if the dvd drive is not reading 'any' disk it may be faulty and needs replacement. However, you can try cleaning its lens with preferably a q-tip or piece of non-abrasive soft cloth and see whether that helps.

Hi and welcome, You said that it was 'given' to you so I am assuming its an used machine. Provided that if the dvd drive is not reading 'any' disk it may be faulty and needs replacement. However, you can try cleaning its lens with preferably a q-tip or piece of non-abrasive soft cloth and see whether that helps.

Thank you for your reply.

But i used the drive to boot the vista cd up to reformat it? The orange light is constantly on the disc drive? You do not think its possible i need drivers for that aswell do you?

No; not really its not an drivers issue. Windows comes with generic drivers for Cd/DVD drives which work just fine. Also just in case i said 'if the drive is not reading any disk'. I've seen some weird behavior of DVD drives as well for example, I have an LG DVD drive lying around somewhere in the store which would read CDs without any hitch but won't read any DVDs.

Anyway, there is another option to install the required drivers and that is to use an usb.

Ahhh i see..Well i tried to put a dvd i have brought in the shops and the worked fine it seems to be dvd's i have made that will not work..I dont think its the end of the world but would be good to get to the bottom of it..

Thanks again for the reply.

If you are having trouble reading your own burned dvd's then try to burn them at a slower speed, see whether that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back