Reformatting a Windows 2k Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

aajvs99

I have a 200Gb hd and for some reason windows has gotten really screwed up. so it doesnt work according to another person i need to reformat the hd so i want to no if i can just reformat the 75 windows partion i have or do i have to format the entire 200gb hard drive? help soon

If you have your data on another partition, and your OS on the 75gb, then you will only need to reformat the 75gb to be able to reinstall windows.

What is your problem that your friend says you need to format and start over? We might be able to fix it, and a format doesn't always get rid of the problem.

If you haven't formated yet, you might want to consider doing a repair instead.
Repair 2k Installation without Clean Install:

Configure your computer BIOS to start from the CD-ROM drive at bootup.

Insert your Windows 2k compact disc (CD) into your CD-ROM drive or DVD-ROM drive, and then restart your computer.

When the "Press any key to boot from CD" message is displayed on your screen, press a key to start your computer from the Windows 2k CD.

When you see the following message displayed on the Welcome to Setup screen, press ENTER:

To setup Windows 2000 now, press ENTER.

At this point an option to press R to enter the Recovery Console is displayed. Do not select this option.

On the Windows 2k Licensing Agreement screen, press F8 to agree to the license agreement.

Make sure that your current installation of Windows 2k is selected in the box, and then press the R key to repair Windows 2k.

Follow the instructions on the screen to complete Setup.

This will repair 2k and put everything back to as it first was.
You will have to reinstall any Hotfixes and OS updates including SP4 and DX9, plus retweak most (but not all) things all over again.

The advanage here is that you will not have to spend hours reinstallindg all your programs again, as well as setting them up...................

There are other options too, such as running the system file checker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back