Reformatting Computer Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I'm trying to reformatt my PC but am having troubles. I have changed the BIOS so that the CD ROM is the first boot device.

When I restart my computer, with the Windows XP CD in the cd-rom, there is a message "press any key to boot from CD". When I press any key on the keyboard, it's not being recognised, hence the reformatting process does not begin.

Does anyone know why the keyboard is not being recognised? I can use the keyboard to press F4 and enter the bios settings just prior, and also after when Windows loads up.

Ta.

You're keyboard is being recognized I imagine, but there could be a problem with the CD. Do you access to another bootable CD to test it out?

You can also boot to a Win98SE floppy disk and browse the cd and run setup from there.

BTW
:wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

how do I do that poertner_1274? I'm only a novice. Does it matter that I'm trying to load windows XP?

I tried using another CD but that didn't work either.

If you have a floppy drive on your computer browse over to www.bootdisk.com and download their windows 98 boot floppy. Then make sure you have your BIOS enabled to boot from floppy first or second. Once the floppy starts to boot you can choose to start with CD-Rom support. It will go through some diagnostic things and bring you to an A:\ At that prompt you will need to type in D: (or E: depending on what the drive letter for your cd-rom drive is). From there you can run the setup for WinXP

poertner_1274

I went throught the process you outlined, and everything worked until I got to the stage that I had to enter D:\

Again, it wouldn't recognise my keyboard so I couldn't type in anything....

Any other ideas??????

What kind of keyboard do you have? I always had the same problem using microsoft keyboards. ( USB and PS\2) so I have always kept a cheapo PS\2 board around for doing installs.

spot on iss.

I have a microsoft USB keyboard.

I changed it over to an old PS2 cheap keyboard and it worked.....

trouble shooting pc and formatting computer

pls pls!help me on my problem.please teach me on hoe to re format me new pc and pls give me some lecture whe it comes in trouble shooting PC.plz help me..

god bless

marjorie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back