reformatting hard drive and reinstalling XP

By b3lm0nt
Jan 30, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Im pretty new to working with hardware so that might explain some of this but i was just looking for some help before i give up and take it to a pro. My computer started acting funny and is pretty full of junk so i want to start from scratch. I started by backing what i want to save on an external hard drive. From the bios menu i change the boot sequence to a cd-rom. I have a maufacture disk which came with the computer so i put that in and boot from it. It goes through all the drives and does what ever it does. Then a menu comes up and asks what i want to do, repair, use the recovery console and so on. so i go to the recovery console and a message appears which says that XP does not recognize an installed hard drive. i have done nothing to my hard drive and dont understand why it wont recognize it. I have read many forums and it sounds like a pretty straight forward process to reformat the hard drive and reinstall XP. so i was just lookin for some advise anyone might have.
  2. RickM

RickM Newcomer, in training Posts: 85

Hello,
    I may be able to help you out with the Hard-drive reformat.
    Just one question.... is your Windows XP an upgrade from Win98 ?
    I will check back and hopefully be able to assist you.
    Rick
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,267   +217

You don't want to go into the recovery console. If its a manufacturer's disk like a dell or some other model you'll probably want to choose repair, if its a pure Windows disk you should have more than 2 options and it will be self explanatory.
  4. b3lm0nt

b3lm0nt Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

Its not an upgrade it was what i had originally installed.
  5. b3lm0nt

b3lm0nt Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I was doin some searchin online and ran across a website that helped me with my problem. It is a detailed tutorial on fixing the problem with the hard drive. I still have some issues with my floppy drive but once i get that straightend out i think this will work.

http://www.windowsreinstall.com/winxppro/nohdd/indexfullpage.htm

It gives great instructions for newbs like me so if anyone is havin the same problem i would recommend checkin it out.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.