Reformatting help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am new to this forum and am in dire need of some help reformatting my computer. I am trying to reformat because it is infected with MANY viruses, but have run into a brick wall everytime I think I get it going. I am running Windows XP (an upgrade disk from Windows ME) and when I first started, it wouldn't allow me to get to the setup screen because the version installed was newer than the version on the CD. I remove SP2 and tried again and low and behold was able to get to the set up screen (blue screen with the partitions and whatnot). When I try to delete the C: partition it comes up an error message saying it cannot delete because it is using temporary setup files that are necessary for installation or something like that. I have read many forums on the subject to no avail. My BIOS is in this order: 1st boot device is floppy, 2nd is IDE-HDD, 3rd is ATAPI CD-ROM. I've read a post to change this order to make the CD-ROM first, tried it, and it did absolutely nothing. I then read to change the slave/master order. My primary IDE master is QUANTUM FIREBALLP LM (no idea what this is) and primary slave is not installed. My Secondary IDE Master is Memorex DVD-ROM 16x (my CD-ROM) and secondary slave is LG CD-RW CED-8080B. It is important to note that I recently replaced my CD-ROM about a week ago to the Memorex but installed all the wires to the exact location they were previously (didn't switch any wires from CD-RW to Memorex). This computer is pretty old and is just an extra I have, but I want to get rid of the viruses and reformat to start from scratch. Sorry for the novel and any help would be greatly appreciated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back