Reformatting - need help with bootable xp cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhinh

Thanks to Kimsland I have links to several bootable iso files. I've downloaded and tried 3 (3 separate cd's)
the dead pc is configd to boot from the cd/ dvd first
on start up it reads the drive (light indicator)
then goes on to boot to windows.

the boot cd only has one iso file on it. Is this correct?
(the latest was ubcd411.iso)

I am really only trying to get to either a dos state or an executable cd to re-format the hard drive.
I approaching desperate to get this done today - can anyone help

What is the brand and model of the computer, and your configuration... Also years of operation. Hard drives go bad. When they do, reformat and reinstall are thwarted.
Alternately, can you borrow a Windows install disk and use that to remove the partition on your drive, before starting over with the install disk you own?

thx for the quick comeback
PC is an 18 month old midwest micro custom
has mirrored hd, cd/dvd combo running on win xp pro.
latest and greatest - 18 months ago

the virus started as the 'antivirus 2009' - om had removed spybot and did not have updated vp. This unleashed a series of virus events -
tried the 8 step - could not get past step one. admin psswd was hijacked. used pswd recover (compliments of you guys) and could get to one or two key strokes with a reset pswd b4 virus took over and denied my admin privileges - this happened repeatedly. Tried all the links you guys have provided -

Tried to boot from win recovery disc but this simply installed a second version of win.

all data, photos and files are backed up on a porta drive

pc is used for intermittent banking - thus I'm in the reformat mode.

i'll appreciate any help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back