Reformatting slows down the computer??

Status
Not open for further replies.

|-|ybrid

Okay...
I'm a newcomer here, and I couldn't find any "General tech support" forums, but I am a gamer so I chose to post this thread in Gaming.

Anyway, my laptop was going kinda slow last week (I was getting about half the FPS in CSS than I used to back when I first got bought it) so I decided to format my hard drive and install a fresh copy of Windows. I fire up CSS and CoD to test drive my "back-to-normal" computer and I discover, to my dismay, that my computer has become so slow that, when I play a Dust-themed map in CSS, my average FPS goes down to 2 on average and that CoD is practically unplayable in Extra settings!!!

Now, I have been getting a lot of replies like: 'Have you updated all your drivers?' or 'Maybe it's overloaded with junk?'.

These are not the kinds of answers I want. I need answers that will tell me what kind of hardware or software may be causing these problems, and how to fix them. I'm thinking that it may be hardware because I've hardly installed any software so far and most of those programs are either stuff that came with my computer (Nero, PowerDVD, etc.) or from Microsoft (Office XP, PowerPoint Viewer 97, etc.). Note that the settings for my video card and other hardware are the same as they were before I formatted.

My computer specs are:

Intel Pentium 4 3.00GHz 800MHz FSB 512KB L2 Cache w/ HT Technology
1024MB Kingston Dual-Channel DDR400 PC3200 SO DIMM (2 x 512MB sticks)
ATi Radeon Mobility 9600 Pro AGP 8x 128MB VRAM
Realtek AC97 Onboard Audio
15.4" WXGA TFT 1280x800 Widescreen monitor
TSSCorp 8x Dual Layer DVD-/+RW Burner
Microsoft Windows XP Professional OEM w/ SP2
60GB 7200RPM Notebook Raid-0 Hard Drive (12.7GB used up at the moment)

Any suggestions?

P.S.: My laptop is always plugged in (as it is a budget gaming laptop) and it heats up pretty quickly, but that has never caused any problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back