TechSpot

refresh rate override

By nate39
Feb 20, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Does setting your video driver application, like in ATI tool, to override 60hz default to a higher rate while playing 3d games make any difference? Either in speed or looks? I have been trying it different ways and then benchmarking and if anything it seems that forcing a higher refresh rate might help the speed a little.

does anyone know if all this matters much? thanks

2. TS | Thomas

TS | Thomas TS Rookie Posts: 1,327

Setting the refresh rate to higher than 60 Hz allows for a higher frame rate (especially with Vsync enabled); when benchmarking vsync should be disabled - that way refresh rate won't have any effect on performance.

Higher refresh rates are also better for your eyes (Well, some people - like myself) are sensitive to anything below 85Hz).

3. nate39

nate39 TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 59

thanks for the reply, I know what happens when the refresh rate is too low. Mine has to be at least 72 to be comfortable. I set ati tool to override refresh rates in games to 72 and it didn't seem to affect aquamark3 benchmark at all.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.