Refrigeration for cooling ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you be more specific?

Watercooling, Thermelectric cooling (peltiers), Refrigerating (vapochill) etc...

well im just using one of the off the self water cooling kits and my freind is using a home built one but I real need to know what exatly you are talking about to give any real advise on an advanced cooling system
:grinthumb

What are the advantages of water cooling over fans. Is water cooling as noisy? I have a Dragon Orb 3 7200rpm heatsink and fan and it is incredibly loud.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
I was talking to Per today on ICQ as I had to shutdown and fit my FIFTH hard drive inside my computer....

Oh, the noise! The noise! The terrible sound of whirring hard disks and fans and PSUs! Make it stop!

Bring it on!

...and here I'm sitting with my completley quiet computer listening to almost perfect silence

Oh yea Phatman, watercooling is quiet!

And P66; five harddrives aren't, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have to tell you that :)

usaly it is very quet however i have a HUGE 120mm fan that runs at full bore (a 24 watt fan)it is running at about 42 D which is an improvment over what i had but still mind numbingly loud have thought about turning it down but i like running at a max of 95 F
:monkey:

Re: Refrigeration

Originally posted by AllRoy
extreme techniques to cool their CPUs?

I'd hardly call it "extreme" but you Subject Line "Refrigeration" currently is manufactured although expensive.

Originally posted by Per Hansson
...and here I'm sitting with my completley quiet computer listening to almost perfect silence

Oh yea Phatman, watercooling is quiet!

I thought the motor which cools the radiator emits quite some noise no?

Originally posted by lokem
I thought the motor which cools the radiator emits quite some noise no?

Are you thinking about the pump, or the fan on the radiator?

If pump:
The pump can be immersed in water, and thus reduce the sound produced... (It will increase water temp some, but not by much...)
Just make sure it's sealed before dropping it in...

If fan:
There are many different ways of watercooling, and not all requires a fan... Nor do all require a regular radiator... Bong cooling does away with the radiator, as such, but uses one or more fans... Though these can be used at a very low speed...
Or just having a radiator which has long and many enough (bad english I know), and the circulation in the room might sufifce..
Or you could just use a bigger fan, but with less speed...

.02$

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi
If pump:
The pump can be immersed in water, and thus reduce the sound produced... (It will increase water temp some, but not by much...)
Just make sure it's sealed before dropping it in...

If fan:
There are many different ways of watercooling, and not all requires a fan... Nor do all require a regular radiator... Bong cooling does away with the radiator, as such, but uses one or more fans... Though these can be used at a very low speed...
Or just having a radiator which has long and many enough (bad english I know), and the circulation in the room might sufifce..
Or you could just use a bigger fan, but with less speed...

.02$

Thanks for the info. Didn't know that there's an option to do away with the pump. I always thought that you'll have to have a bucket of water ready for water cooling ;)

BTW, how big are the external units of a water cooling solution?

BTW, how big are the external units of a water cooling solution?

With internal you mean koolance, and with external you mean reservoir and radiator out of the box?

It depends...
You can have a cooling system with around 1l water, of which around 5dl is in the reservoir, and the rest in the system... That gives you a small reservoir...
Then the radiator can be small, but should be of some material which transfers heat efficiently, with a couple of fans... And that wouldn't have to be too big either...

Or you could have a 20l reservoir and a huge bong as radiator, (6f tall, 4inc wide) which would be really huge...

It all depends on how much space you're willing to use, how much money you'll use, and what temps you find acceptable...... The more money you use, the smaller the unit can be, but it won't be as efficient as a high price big system can be...

Though that isn't exactly the truth, it is a good aproximation... (If you don't know too much about physics and heat transfers, you won't be able to create a very small but efficient cooling system without extensive research imo...)

If you specify a bit more, we might be able to give you more info...

Thanks for the info. I'm kinda looking into a viable water cooling solution that doesn't make my rig unmovable ;)

Last time I read a review on the Koolance casings was a year ago. Not sure how much better the things are...

Thanks for the info. I'm kinda looking into a viable water cooling solution that doesn't make my rig unmovable ;)

If you are worried that you won't be able to move your rig with outside watercooling, then don't worry... It'll cost you a wee bit more, but not very much... What you need to do is buy a couple of hose connectors/valves with a stop mechanism.. That way you just turn the system off, close the valves, and remove the cables outside of your box...
Then just move wherever you want, and reconnect it..

If you really want to know more about it, I can find some pics, as it'll show you much better than my lousy writing skills ever can... (But it'll take some time to find...)

But if you stuff everything inside, you can move it all you want...

Here's an example from HardForum by sysfailur:

case-open.jpg

Last time I read a review on the Koolance casings was a year ago. Not sure how much better the things are...

Koolance are good enough if you don't connect it to too many devices... (If you hook it up to the GPU, Harddrives, chipsetts and cpu you won't get a very good performance (or so the reviews I've read says), but keep it on the cpu and gpu, and it's quite good...)

But if you're want max cooling pre-built, you should either try KryoTech or VapoChill... Those use nitrogen, which gives you much better temps than any watersetup ever will...

But you pay the premium for them too...

Originally posted by MrGaribaldi

But if you stuff everything inside, you can move it all you want...

Here's an example from HardForum by sysfailur:

Wow! THat's an awesome system! I guess I'll keep that in mind the next time I build a system. Too bad it needs a full tower to do it! :) Guess you can't have everything.. Hehe..

Koolance are good enough if you don't connect it to too many devices... (If you hook it up to the GPU, Harddrives, chipsetts and cpu you won't get a very good performance (or so the reviews I've read says), but keep it on the cpu and gpu, and it's quite good...)

I guess the Koolance will do. But wasn't there a few reports saying that the fluids actually leaked out from the container or something?

But if you're want max cooling pre-built, you should either try KryoTech or VapoChill... Those use nitrogen, which gives you much better temps than any watersetup ever will...

But you pay the premium for them too...

Thanks, but no thanks ;) I'm not gonna touch those unless I have to. The cost doesn't justify the usage.

Wow! THat's an awesome system! I guess I'll keep that in mind the next time I build a system. Too bad it needs a full tower to do it! :) Guess you can't have everything.. Hehe..

You could allways make it smaller... I just ripped the first fully in-box system I saw..
I remember back when the bong was starting to become popular, someone had made one inside his midi tower... But if you want to do that, you'll have to do a little more careful design, than if you just use a full tower... (and the cooling capacity might go down a bit)

I guess the Koolance will do. But wasn't there a few reports saying that the fluids actually leaked out from the container or something?

IIRC that was with some of the first boxes produced... They fixed that quite quick, and should now be leak free... (As long as you connect the cables properly ;))

Thanks, but no thanks ;) I'm not gonna touch those unless I have to. The cost doesn't justify the usage.

Hehe... Know the feeling... If I ever win the lottery I'll buy one of 'em, but until then...

You could allways make it smaller... I just ripped the first fully in-box system I saw..
I remember back when the bong was starting to become popular, someone had made one inside his midi tower... But if you want to do that, you'll have to do a little more careful design, than if you just use a full tower... (and the cooling capacity might go down a bit)

Cool. Thanks for the info. So what kinda cooling are you using on yer system?

IIRC that was with some of the first boxes produced... They fixed that quite quick, and should now be leak free... (As long as you connect the cables properly ;))

IT's the cables I'm afraid of ;) Wonder if the liquid they use doesn't cause any short circuits on the mobo or not... Hmmm.. :D

Hehe... Know the feeling... If I ever win the lottery I'll buy one of 'em, but until then...

If I ever win the lottery, I'll get myself the most powerful notebook. I REALLY need the mobility :D

Cool. Thanks for the info. So what kinda cooling are you using on yer system?

Np :)
As for my system... Well... I thought about going watercooling, started to buy the stuff, and went broke... So now I have 1/3rd of the stuff needed for the bong, but lack the money to continue...
So I'm currently using a Zalman Flower which is quite good... The idle and load temp are close together, about 5C difference... (idle 53C load 58C)

But what's stranger... It would've been easier moving the system with the bong than the current cooler (it weighs too much and have to be taken off each time I move the 'puter...)

IT's the cables I'm afraid of ;) Wonder if the liquid they use doesn't cause any short circuits on the mobo or not... Hmmm.. :D

I just found a review of the koolance, and it also talks about the problem you mentioned... Read it here

Enjoy :)

Youch, I guess it's about time to sell those parts and get the Koolance case ;) Thanks for the link! Nice find!

Vapochill PC
A PC with its own refrigerator unit is the fastest in the world, its manufacturers say...designed by a Danish company called Asetek.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/sci/tech/newsid_1872000/1872410.stm

The cooling unit keeps the processor chip at 18 degrees below zero Celsius, far below the temperature of a conventional fan-cooled PC.

The Vapochill PC takes an off the shelf 2.2 GHz Intel Pentium 4 processor... speeds up to 3 GHz

Vapochill PC costs about 6,000 Euros (£3,700)($5,266)and is on display at the CeBIT 2002 technology fair in Hanover, Germany.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back