Regcure downloads instead of CCleaner

Status
Not open for further replies.

compused

I uninstalled all the malware, spyware and cleaner programmes from our computer because we don't have that much RAM and our computer was still crashing.

This morning the computer screen froze, so I switched off and started again. The computer got into a loop with the message "The instruction at 0x75978dci ref 0x00000000 could not be found. Click OK to terminate or CANCEL to debug"

It didn't matter which action I took, whether CANCEL or OK, the computer just went round in a continuous loop. My partner came home and managed to get the computer to start by pressing F8 and we tried all of the options until one worked.

He had Googled "Fix 0x00000000 problem" and it had told him to download a free version of Regcure, which we did, only it was not free as it scanned the computer but then expected us to pay to fix the problem. Admittedly Regcure found about 1117 errors, but wants $29.75 to fix the problems. Is there a way of Regcure fixing the problems without paying?

Use Add and remove to uninstall RegCure, then uninstall it again in Programs Delete
then use RegCleaner or RegEdit to remove anything else related to RegCure
Now defragment the hard drive,
and run the 8 Steps removal tools found elsewhere on this forum just to be safe.

Is it worth paying for Regcure to fix these problems

Thanks raybay. I found that we had 'run' Regcure twice and I had only uninstalled the one we had 'Run (installed). The other was still on our Desktop.

Because we had to start our computer on an earlier date, the date was wrong and I forgot to change this back to today's date before running the 8-Step virus removal. I have therefore not attached the logs because of this, but there were only 10 spyware and no malware.

After running all the 8-steps of virus removal, I have again installed Regcure and run this and it still finds 1128 faults. Below is what it listed:

COM/Active X 10 errors
Uninstall 122 errors
Shared DLL entry 20 errors
Application Path Entry 3 errors
Help File information 1 error
Windows Startup items 3 errors
Path File Reference 693 errors
Empty Registry Item 346 errors = Total 1,198 errors

The free fix will not fix these errors and I wonder whether it is worth paying the sub to fix these?

No it's not worth paying for something that has alternatives freely available on the Net

I also note this thread by you as well (of your many)
I went on to http://majorgeeks.com/AFT Cleaner d4949.html and downloaded what is called Quad Registry Cleaner (as that was the only free download I could find).

Regarding you trying (and possibly promoting) these Registry fixing tools
These tools can easily cause undesired effects, including Windows corruption
They should not be downloaded and tried to see how they go, or what they say is faulty)

They are critical tools that can cause any amount of corruption (not fix) to an inexperienced user's computer. Basically the registry should be off limits, unless you
1. Have been advised by an experienced computer support helper to use one
2. Are experienced enough yourself to know what to remove and what not to

In all cases, creating a backup of any registry change must always be done (although this in itself, may not safe guard you against Windows corruption)

----------------

I have quoted a Registry fix before that does not seem to be as invasive as others, and that's the Registry fix in CCleaner (by the way, this excellent tool is free)

But this is only quoted if other areas, such as Malware removal has been fully completed, or basically under a clean system

Do not just download Registry tools (or really any) from the Net, without first getting the proper advice to do so. Generally at TechSpot members create threads concerning some fault condition that is attended by support replies. If your computer is not "broke" then don't touch it, except for normal use ;)

RegCure finds a LOT of cookies and Temp files. It has the job of making money, not fixing your computer. Get rid of it while you can.

Thanks Kimsland and raybay. No I'm not trying to promote any tools or downloads. I'm here to learn and that's why I keep on asking and you keep on telling, for which I thank you very much for your patience. I will uninstall Regcure.

I am keeping my fingers crossed, but this time I disabled my antivirus, Windows update and firewall and the 8 Steps seemed to have worked better and maybe now our computer won't crash. I haven't tried the games I play, but I have gone on to a genaelogy site I use, which was crashing and now is not. So, hopefully, we won't have any more problems.

I think I caused the 0x00000000 registry to go haywire by now allowing enough time for the computer to run after restarting it after a crash, as I then restarted it again because a crash on a crash causes problems. Sometimes when I was shutting down the computer to restart, it had to end cmdagent.exe before it had run its course. I will wait a bit longer next time our computer crashes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back