Registry Cleaner/Optimizer Free, or not

By asyland
May 30, 2006
  1. Hi,
    My first post here. I was hoping I could get a few suggestions re: a reg cleaner. I did a search here, but the only one I found was a query on free cleaners. I don't mind spending a few $ if it's a reliable program, although I realize some free progs can be as good or better than the paid-fors, so, either or. I've been doing my reg cleaning manually, but just so far as removing entries for uninstalled programs, and I always back it up first using ERUNT. I would like to find a utility that will help me clean out the dead ends in the registry. Safety and reliability are the major concerns, I personally don't believe the program that finds the most entries is necessarily the best. I've heard a lot of good things about RegSeeker, Easy cleaner, and the reg cleaner in jv16 power tools. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks in advance, and all the best.
  2. X DarthMonkey X

X DarthMonkey X TS Rookie Posts: 76

For a free proggy, try CCleaner.

For a paid one, that is much more functional and worth the price, get Registry Mechanic.

Both are available as free downloads at, however the free Registry Mechanic isn't fully-functional until you pay for it.

Still, it'll fix most of the basic registry problems even with the free version.
  3. asyland

asyland TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thanks X DarthMonkey X,
    Heard good things about both of those, I've been using Empty Temp Folders for clean up, but I'll give CCleaner a spin. I'll check out Reg Mech too.
    Thanks again!
    By the way, Reg Seeker, whoa. Way beyond my scope. I can't believe how deep that thing digs. I make come back to that after my knowledge increases ...about a hundred fold. If anyone is relatively new to registry cleaning like me, I'd save that til you're a bit more experienced.
  4. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,446

Just a cautionary note : It`s very easy to over do registry cleaning.You can end up causing more problems than you solve.

Once in a while with CCleaner or a "safe" cleaner like RegscrubXP is all that you need.
  5. X DarthMonkey X

X DarthMonkey X TS Rookie Posts: 76

Yeah, he's right there. Registry cleaners could do more harm than good if you're not careful So always backup your registry before you clean it.

Sometimes, when I clean my registry, it screws up Nero. So I keep the Nero disk handy whenever i run Registry Mechanic.
  6. asyland

asyland TS Rookie Topic Starter

Believe me, I know

Thanks Peddant,

Yeah, I learned the hard way. When I first started manual edits, I destroyed IE on my system, which, actually might be looked on as a good thing. Anyway, that's why I never go near the registry without backing it up with ERUNT, nice program IMO. I hadn't heard of RegScrub. I'll definitely look into that one. I've got Acronis True Image, so maybe I'll create a restore point and try a few out ...carefully.

Thanks again, and all the best, fellas
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.