Registry Cleaner/Optimizer Free, or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,
My first post here. I was hoping I could get a few suggestions re: a reg cleaner. I did a search here, but the only one I found was a query on free cleaners. I don't mind spending a few $ if it's a reliable program, although I realize some free progs can be as good or better than the paid-fors, so, either or. I've been doing my reg cleaning manually, but just so far as removing entries for uninstalled programs, and I always back it up first using ERUNT. I would like to find a utility that will help me clean out the dead ends in the registry. Safety and reliability are the major concerns, I personally don't believe the program that finds the most entries is necessarily the best. I've heard a lot of good things about RegSeeker, Easy cleaner, and the reg cleaner in jv16 power tools. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, and all the best.

For a free proggy, try CCleaner.

For a paid one, that is much more functional and worth the price, get Registry Mechanic.

Both are available as free downloads at Download.com, however the free Registry Mechanic isn't fully-functional until you pay for it.

Still, it'll fix most of the basic registry problems even with the free version.

Thanks!

Thanks X DarthMonkey X,
Heard good things about both of those, I've been using Empty Temp Folders for clean up, but I'll give CCleaner a spin. I'll check out Reg Mech too.
Thanks again!
By the way, Reg Seeker, whoa. Way beyond my scope. I can't believe how deep that thing digs. I make come back to that after my knowledge increases ...about a hundred fold. If anyone is relatively new to registry cleaning like me, I'd save that til you're a bit more experienced.

Just a cautionary note : It`s very easy to over do registry cleaning.You can end up causing more problems than you solve.

Once in a while with CCleaner or a "safe" cleaner like RegscrubXP is all that you need.

Yeah, he's right there. Registry cleaners could do more harm than good if you're not careful So always backup your registry before you clean it.

Sometimes, when I clean my registry, it screws up Nero. So I keep the Nero disk handy whenever i run Registry Mechanic.

Believe me, I know

Thanks Peddant,

Yeah, I learned the hard way. When I first started manual edits, I destroyed IE on my system, which, actually might be looked on as a good thing. Anyway, that's why I never go near the registry without backing it up with ERUNT, nice program IMO. I hadn't heard of RegScrub. I'll definitely look into that one. I've got Acronis True Image, so maybe I'll create a restore point and try a few out ...carefully.

Thanks again, and all the best, fellas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back