Registry error...tried methods found on net but to no avail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,
The problem is, 1 day while on my computer it was working fine. Installed no extra software or hardware, and just shut it down normally. Since then I have not been able to get anywhere with it:

1. If I start windows as normal, it goes into a rebooting cycle, reseting itself just before it would do the windows boot screen with the loading bar.

2. If I try going into command prompt, safe mode, or restoring from last good configuration, it still just reboots.

3. If I put in the XP cd, and go to either Repair or Install, or quit, I get the blue screen of death, commenting on a REGISTRY_ERROR problem, with the error code being:

*** STOP: 0x00000051 (00000003, 0x00000003, 0x00000000, 0xE11DE000)

I can't get into DOS prompt (on restarting, my computer goes to the "Windows was not shut down properly...blah" and I select "Safe mode with command prompt", and it rebooots). I can't load from the CD. Can't restore to last known good configuration. So really, can't access any files on my PC or add any new ones as far as I know.

What could I possibly do? I'm not fussed if the only method involves formatting somehow, losing data does not bother me as there was nothing important on there, I just need to get it back working.

Thanks alot in advance for any help on the subject. :blackeye:

As a quick guess a virus may be the culprit.

Check all wiring before doing anything, including voltage from a spare power socket with your multimeter just to rule it out.

If your not fussed with losing the data, the rest is easy, and usually the quickest, find a 98se startup disk, setup your system to boot from the floppy first, if it does, simply boot it with the floppy in and type fdisk and enter it once your into dos, answer the questions and warnings, yada yada, after the drive has fdisked itself, reset the system to boot from the CD save your changes shutdown and restart don't just restart it, the system will / should boot from the allready inserted CD, it will also ask to be formatted, do so the long way, answer all the MS BS and, BTW many times the quick format method will cause problems.

If it starts to install the rest is easy, if not there could be a hardware problem, as drives do just die for no reason, if you have kids in the house, interrogate them ! as they are known to have killed the best system, ofcourse they always deny it, step up the interrogation to mild torture ;) and eventually the truth will come out.

Try V-7 AVG anti Virus, works fine on most of my boxes, the price is good too.

Pull the Ram out and boot it one stick at a time..your problem points directly to bad Ram or bad dimm or both..

Tried taking each ram chip out, and it still comes up with the error (which I'm assuming would be a good thing, as my RAM chips ain't ****ed :D)

Now I'm going to try the boot disk idea.

Don't bother with the W98-floppy, it can only format FAT32.
Set BIOS to boot from CD first.
Boot and let XP completely partition/format your HD in NTFS format; as said above, do not use Quickformat. Then reinstall and keep all your extremities crossed.

I guess you didn't fully read my post.

I can not get to the point on the XP cd of partitioning or formatting, so I can't do anything you have just said in that post.

--------

Digisol you beast! Did what you said, and now my computer is in the middle of formatting, something I couldn't get it to do before!!! Thanks alot, it seems your advice cured the problem!!! :hotbounce :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back