TechSpot

1. TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot Forums are dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Registry problems

By Gradient
Nov 18, 2006
  1. Not long ago my copy of Adwatch (an extension of Adaware that actively scans for incoming spyware) went haywire and blocked a number of XP programs from making changes to the registry. Now XP doesn't know what to do with shortcuts, doesn't do anything when I try to open most executable files (Firefox is one of the few that works), and generally things are a mess. Adwatch has stopped loading at startup, and I can't open the .exe anyway, so I can't prevent it from blocking anything. I can't use System Restore because the .exe won't open. I can't use Registry Mechanic to clean it up because, again, the .exe won't work. What can I do to sort out this mess?

Thanks,
    Phil

2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

The first thing to try is a Windows repair as per this thread HERE. Hopefully that`ll sort you out.

If it doesn`t, you might need to think about backing up your important data, reformatting and reinstalling from scratch.

Regards Howard :)

3. Gradient

Gradient TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 32

Well, I couldn't run any of the software the thread suggested (since .exe files aren't working and all) so it looks like it's a reinstall for me. Thanks for the help. :)

I managed to get System Restore up and running by selecting Open With... with a file and selecting Sys R, which worked where selecting shortcuts and the .exe file didn't. All better now. :) Sorry for the double post.

4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

That`s good news mate, thanks for letting us know.

Regards Howard :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.