Registry screwed up thnks to PCMightyMax

Status
Not open for further replies.

leroyd

Registry screwed up thanks to PCMightyMax

Registry changed some of Fonts to Wing Dings. When I type Password it returns llllll no matter what you type for a password. When I hit return for llllll, Can't get in. It returns the message: [A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x80070002]. In the password box, it is possible to change the User Name, that line seems to type normally. It would be very expensive for me to wipe the hard drive. A lot of programs were downloaded and can't be replaced. I need to fix things if I can, Can any one help??? There is a phone number and email address for PCMightyMax, however they don't respond to the email and the phone number is just an automated answering service. I have been looking for an answer through the internet for a couple of days and evidently my problem is very unique.

PCMichtyMAx doesn't have a very good rating:

http://www.stopbadware.org/reports/reportdisplay?reportname=pcmightymax

Using the msconfig utility, stop the program from starting at boot:
Start> Run> type in 'msconfig' without quotes> enter> choose Selective Start-up> Startup tab> Navigate to the program, highlight, uncheck> Apply> OK.

Reboot. Close down the nag message that comes up after checking 'don't show this message again.

Combine this with the recommended System Restore. Let us know the outcome.

Only able to start Windows in Safe Mode

To Bobbye - I dont have a Start button on the bottom of the screen. Can you instruct me how to do it in DOS?

Do you have the Taskbar at the bottom of the screen? If if isn't showing, take your mouse down and move it around. When the Taskbar comes up, right click on it> Properties> Taskbar tab> UNCHECK "auto-hide Taskbar"> Apply> OK.

Please advise what operating system you're using.

I am unable to get the taskbar to come up. Been trying for about 10 minutes. I know it's available because I accidently got it yesterday, but I didn't know about auto hide. I'm using a Corporate copy of Windows Professional. I have a commitment I cant get out. I will return at about 12:30 Pacific Standard time. If you know another way to get that taskbar up, I'll try anything. By the way many, many thanks.

Some of the problems solved 1 to go, "I think".

I don't know why, but my messing around with the Windows Font file and my unsuccessful attempt to copy in a new default font set into it seems to have fixed the font/Wingding problem. Now I have an error message preventing me from booting in Normal Mode. The error message reads… [A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x80070002] It’s never had this problem before. I’ve been using this installation of Windows Professional XP for over 2 years.

If I can just get rid of this, it may actually boot up and run. Also, for some reason unknown to me, I can boot up in safe mode, but I can no longer get a task bar in safe mode, so I'm very limited in what it will allow me to do. I have moved the mouse around the whole edge of the screen for about 10 minutes, and nothing changes.

Still in the soup of you can help!

I think fastco got it more or less right in the first post, ;)

but here are some piecemeal suggestions :

- That error your getting is discussed HERE Brief summary -

1.Start the computer in Safe mode.

2.Start Registry Editor (regedt32.exe).

3.Delete the following registry keys in the Windows registry:

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers

4.Quit Registry Editor.

5.Restart the computer.

In your case you might have to run regedt32.exe from the Task Manager -

Ctrl Alt Del then "File" then "Run" regedt32.exe

For the Taskbar try running explorer

There is also Taskbar Repair Tool that might help,if you can download it somehow.

System Restore is restore then click on rstrui.exe

System file checker is sfc /scannow You`ll need the XP CD handy for that.

Tried to Delete Both files but they weren't there.

Glad to find out abount running files from Task Manager though. I loaded safe mode with a dos prompt and ran the editor. I found that the subdirectioies Cryptograohy\Providers were missing in both locations. Got any other ideas other than calling a Priest, Preacher or Rabbi? I've been 4 days on this and it's driving me nutz.

Thanks, tho

You didn`t say if you tried restore

The only other thing I can suggest is msconfig start up tab.

Uncheck everything.Then click the Services tab and check the

"Hide all Microsoft Services box then uncheck all the remaining ones.

I tried restore - no effect.

Maybe I need a break from this. My eyes are crossing, I'll try the msconfig thing in the morning. Thanx Po' Girl

Did you ever make it to the Startup tab through msconfig to STOP PCMightyMax from starting up?

Something to keep in mind: a good Registry Cleaner will create a backup that can be used in the event there is a problem.

To Bobbye

Got rid of PCMightyMax and I got rid of the WingDing Screens. Now my only problem is the error message; [A problem is preventing Windows from accurately checking the license for this computer. Error Code: 0x80070002]
This appears to be a problem that Microsoft recognizes and their page says to delete providers in the following lines.
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-20\Software\Microsoft\Cryptography\Providers
The problem I encountered is that I found the subdirectioies Cryptograohy\Providers were missing in both locations. So, now what?

Trying to do the Repair Install

I've downloaded instructions and Warnings for a repair install and came up with a problem that wasn't addressed. When I inset a bootable copy of XP Professional I get the following message: "Boot CD ROM Type: Non-emulation booting". How can I get the CD to boot so I can perform a recovery? I've tried to mess around with safe mode with a prompt, etc. So far, no luck. Please help me if you can.

here is a back door method that always worked:
1.) boot with floppy disc and choose boot with cdrom driver.
2.) once up in DOS, insert CD disc and run setup.exe from there.

Thanks, I'd like to try that!

My laptop doesn't have a floppy disk drive. Do you know how to make a boot with a cd Rom driver with a Flash drive and make it all work?

Here's where everything stands at the moment.

1) I can only load Windows Safe Mode and Windows Safe Mode with a Command Prompt.
2) If I try to boot into Windows Safe Mode with Networking or Windows Normal Mode, I get the 0x80070002 error message
3) If I try to boot from the Windows XP Professional Disk (A Copy) I get the 0x80070002 error message.
4) I use to get a task bar at the bottom of the Windows Safe Mode Screen if I chose No when asked if I want to proceed in Safe Mode or return to a previous state. Now I no longer get a task bar. I can get a Tool Bar with a Start Button if I reght click and choose Desk Top, at least that's how it's performing right now.
5) How would I find out if WinTools is installed on my computer?
6) Somehow, I've either got to do a "Repair Install" or undo this mess some other way.
7) Explanation of why my XP Disk is a copy: My laptop installation is part of a $4,000. Corporate License issued to a Television News company in Tijuana, B.C., Mexico who I work for in addition to my regular job as a Freight Broker. I'm setting here in Cypress, California trying to make repairs to the damage caused by running PCMightyMax, to clean up some registry errors on my computer. I sure wish I had my registry errors and my laptop back.

Three things :

- You still didn`t say if you tried System Restore.

It probably won`t work, but it has to be tried.

See above for how to run from the Task Manger

- Running chkdisk - chkdisk /f /r can sometimes work wonders.

- Does your company in Mexico have an IT department ?

Do they ever help emloyees with computer problems ?

Like send you a bootable XP CD.

To Po'Girl

Yes, I tried system restore. I even opened the task master and followed the path down to the system restore program and got a window with System Restore at the top, but the window itself was blank. Someone loaned me a restore disk for SP Media Center Edition but it wouldn't work because my version is newer. My company in Mexico can't help me bacause no one seems to know wher the original installation disk is. That's kind of normal for Mexico. I ran chkdisk, no effect. I'm still trying to get some one to get me the disk from Mexico, but it doesn't look too good. I'm wondering about what an upgrade to Vista might do.

Po' Girl - A new question.

What if I install XP into another directory? Can I then transfer over some of the Program and other Files, like for instance the Desktop and Favorites in Explorer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back