Reinstalled OS/Can't install drivers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, I don't want to waste any of your time. So I'll just get right to the point. I attempted my first reformat/reinstall of windows xp. And I had assumed I had backed up my drivers properly by using a downloaded utility called DriverMax. With it, I had searched for all of my drivers and then exported them all into a file.

I assumed then, that I had done what needed to be done and I downloaded that file onto a flash drive. But then, after proceeding with the reinstall. I plug back in my flash drive, locate the file on it and copy it to my desktop. But I have no idea how to install these from the files!?! When I open the file, there doesn't seem to be any set up files or anything that I can install with. Just a whole bunch of driver files that don't do anything but display code when I open them. And now I can't even get on the internet to search for drivers to download because the driver for my D-Link wireless adapter isn't installed! What did I do wrong? Is there any advice anybody can think of to give me? Perhaps, I missed a step while using DriverMax. Could I possibly download these driver files onto another computer and, using DriverMax, try and re-back them up onto a cd/flash drive? Help, please.

Brandon

What is the file type of the files you backed up? If I was a betting man, I would say they were either .dll, .inf, or .sys. I am unfamiliar with the software called DriverMax but I'll try and give some assistance.:grinthumb

I'm sorry, I should have done the research before I posted. If there is a way to get the DriverMax software back to your flash drive and install it on the freshly installed OS, you should be OK. There is a button on the main screen of DriverMax that says "Export Drivers". I imagine that is where I would go.

Download that Dude Here
or...
Direct Download 1
Direct Download 2

:grinthumb

I'm not familiar with DriverMax, but I'll try anyway. Ok what you should be able to do is browse to Device Manager and single click a device that has a yellow question mark in front of it. Now right click the specific device and choose update driver from the context menu. Click the "No, not this time" option on the Hardware Update Wizard and click the next button. Then choose the "Install from a list or specific location (Advanced)" option and click the next button. Then choose the "Search for the best driver in these locations" option and click the "Include this location in the search" box and browse to the folder with the drivers in it and click the next button. Windows should find the driver in the folder you placed on the desktop and install it. You'll have to do this for every device that has a yellow question mark in front of it.

Hulent, thanks for the suggestion man, it would've been my second solution after trying Cinder's. (oh and by the way, the main folders were .inf types, and then within them, the files were some .dll, .inf and system files.)

Cinders, I followed the process you said, and it worked! All of the yellow question marks beside the drivers in the device manager are gone except for one. "The PCI Modem", anyone know what this is? I don't think it's related to my internet, because for one, my wireless adapter is working now and I can access the internet. And also, neither of the two drivers I had backed up under Net would work for it.

Also, theres a driver folder called "hdc" and one entitled "system" that drivermax had backed up. They wouldn't work to update the PCI Modem driver, and there doesn't seem to be any other use for them. But are they important? Any ideas?

Thanks again Cinders, you pretty much solved my entire problem. :D

Your PCI modem is most likely an older V.92 Voice Fax modem. PCI is the bus that it is connected to. If you think you'll need it, try a standard V.92 56k Voice/Fax modem driver. See if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back