Reinstalled XP onto the wrong drive - unable to locate email

Status
Not open for further replies.

mystique_26

Hi There,

Previously we were running off the C:/ and it needed to have SP2 added but because I was sold an illegal version it wouldn't update. I have a new copy of XP Home edition and thought I would be able to put the disc in and just update the SP2 (obviously I didn't do any research first). So now i'm faced with the below problems.

- XP went ahead and installed on the D Drive
- We want our D Drive to be kept seperate as this is where we store important info
- I have backed everything up on the C Drive EXCEPT I can't locate our Microsoft outlook files, only the Microsoft outlook 'shortcut' - how do I find all the files??
- I want to do the reinstallation again of the XP but back onto the C Drive.

Please can someone assist me in finding our outlook files. I'm faced with the problem that I can't open any Office applications because this is not installed on D drive only C yet my comp is booting up on D.

:eek: please help.

Hey thankyou for that. I have burnt the file to a disc I will see if I can get all the emails back once I reload office back onto the computer.

I guess I will just leave it as D Drive as the default now and clean out C drive and use that as my 'storage harddrive'.

I was just wondering what my BIOS settings should be. When I load up the computer it states that XP set up is not complete. It is complete on the D drive but I thought I might try to load onto the C drive but it didn't work so now it seems to still pick this up.

Does that make sense???

Please someone assist me, I have done such a good job of messing this comp up - but i'm sure it is fixable and quite easy to do.... :rolleyes:

Is this what you are after?

[Boot Loader]
Timeout=5
Default=C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT
[Operating Systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Setup"

:grinthumb

Also is it safe now to uninstall Windows off the C Drive and how do I go about it?

D drive is running smoothly I just want to clean out the C drive and have it as my 'storage' one. ;)

Change that Default= line to read:
Default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS
(this will point to XP-home on the D-drive)
There is NO space between WINDOW and S!

and remove the last 2 lines:
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect
C:\$WIN_NT$.~BT\BOOTSECT.DAT="Microsoft Windows XP Setup"

Before you edit it with Notepad, you may have to rightclick boot.ini and in the Properties remove the Read Only attribute.
Set it back on when you are finished.

That worked a treat! Thankyou for that :) :) :)

Since you are so good at what you do :angel: do you have any tips on how I can safely clean out my C: Drive without doing any more damage. ie: I want to remove windows from it and all secruity programs as they are now on D Drive.

Thanks again!

Keep the following files in C:\
boot.ini, ntldr, ntdetect.com, cmldr
autoexec.bat, config.sys, MSDOS.SYS,IO.SYS
pagefile.sys (only if it has the current date, if a few days old (or more), delete it.
Keep the following directories:
C:\RECYCLER
C:\System Volume Information

Any or all might be hidden/system and not all might be present.

Anything else you can delete, regardless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back