reinstalling win95...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kefkamaydie

Ok, I'm working on my friends computer, I had to reformat the hard disk, and now when I try to get to dos prompt to partition the drive and install windows again, I get the non-system disk error(remove disk and replace with system disk), but there is no disk in. Am I just being dumb, or is something wrong? :confused:

You can't start the installation from a blank harddrive. You will need it to boot from cd or from a floppy first.

I know I can't load windows onto a blank hd, I'm just having problems getting my comp to take the boot disks, I downloaded from bootdisk yesterday, but it still says non system disk. And also, anyone know how to get rid of a linux operating system from the same comp? Lilo boot always trys to boot up red hat linux then fails because linux is no longer on the computer.....

Sounds like the boot squence in the bios tries to load the hard drive before checking the floppy drive, or the floppy drive is bad. Go in to bios and check the boot order.

I agree with jstillion, also if available in bios enable floppy drive seek.

Good Luck.

Ps if you have a win98se cd about you can boot from that.

I think I figured out the problem, I believe it was the boot order, but won't be able to check until i get home tonight...

That will get rid of the partition, but I'm sure it is still in your master boot record. You will need to run fdisk /mbr to fix that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back