reinstalling win95...

By kefkamaydie
Nov 20, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ok, I'm working on my friends computer, I had to reformat the hard disk, and now when I try to get to dos prompt to partition the drive and install windows again, I get the non-system disk error(remove disk and replace with system disk), but there is no disk in. Am I just being dumb, or is something wrong? :confused:
  2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,406   +280

You can't start the installation from a blank harddrive. You will need it to boot from cd or from a floppy first.
  3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

You can download a boot disk programme from http://www.bootdisk.com/

Then just put it onto a floppy.

Regards Howard :grinthumb
  4. kefkamaydie

kefkamaydie Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I know I can't load windows onto a blank hd, I'm just having problems getting my comp to take the boot disks, I downloaded from bootdisk yesterday, but it still says non system disk. And also, anyone know how to get rid of a linux operating system from the same comp? Lilo boot always trys to boot up red hat linux then fails because linux is no longer on the computer.....
  5. jstillion

jstillion Newcomer, in training Posts: 107

Sounds like the boot squence in the bios tries to load the hard drive before checking the floppy drive, or the floppy drive is bad. Go in to bios and check the boot order.
  6. Shiney

Shiney TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 223

I agree with jstillion, also if available in bios enable floppy drive seek.

Good Luck.

Ps if you have a win98se cd about you can boot from that.
  7. kefkamaydie

kefkamaydie Newcomer, in training Topic Starter

I think I figured out the problem, I believe it was the boot order, but won't be able to check until i get home tonight...
  8. Electrick Gypsy

Electrick Gypsy Newcomer, in training Posts: 89

To remove those Linux partitions you'll have to fdisk that drive properly too.
  9. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

That will get rid of the partition, but I'm sure it is still in your master boot record. You will need to run fdisk /mbr to fix that.
  10. Electrick Gypsy

Electrick Gypsy Newcomer, in training Posts: 89

I stand corrected.
    I forget to go into detail a lot of the time.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.