TechSpot

Reinstalling Windows 98

By Finchy
Apr 7, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My brother is reinstalling windows 98 on his Pentium 2, to have a clean install and clear out the crap thats slowing it down.
    We need to know how to do it, like is a boot disk require, and what drivers are needed afterwards, please reply ASAP.

2. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

Well I would suggest making a 98 boot disk. Use that to boot to and choose cd-rom support. Then format your drive. Once that is done put in your 98 CD and type in D: I believe should be your CD-rom drive. Once there just type in setup.exe. That should take you through all the installation process.

3. Finchy

Finchy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 378

How do you create a book disk

4. andygibbs

andygibbs TS Rookie Posts: 76

remember unlike xp, you have to fdisk in win 98 if u want a clean install.
    (might sound basic, but i didnt know that first time i tried to clean install win98)

5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

If memory serves me right you go to control panel and click on the add remove programmes icon.

On the page that appears I seem to remember you click on startup disk and select create disk.

Regards Howard :D

6. poertner_1274

poertner_1274 secroF laicepS topShceT Posts: 4,745

www.bootdisk.com

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.