Reinstalling Windows XP on Dell Dim 2400

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am trying to reformat a Dell Dimension 2400 to fresh copy of XP from my restore CD. After doing the prescribed procedures after F12, at the command screen to either enter, repair, or quit, my computer freezes. no keyboard etc. I have to restart CPU with power off. Anyone have any ideas how I can reinstall?

are you using the keybord that came with the dell or is this another one? if the one that came with the dell was a PS\2 and your now using a USB keyboard then that may be your problem.

No, still using the ps\2 keyboard. The problem is in the software somewhere. I had reformatted the hard drive a while back off the reformat disk from Dell with success, but the Dell instructions were vague, and I ended up with two operating systems on two different partitions on the "c" drive. I can access the most recently reformatted one, but not the older one (it is just taking up about 5GB of space). When I try to reformat back to scratch, that's when the computer freezes up at the "Continue" comand to install a fresh copy of the OS. Any ideas anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back