Reliable laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

jb444

Hi all,
I'm after a laptop to last me for the three years at uni, just got a few questions about brands to go for (I've no idea about laptops, only owned PCs)
Namely since I'm not foreseeably going to have any money for a while after this i want it to last a while (just got £1000 from university, that's why I'm looking at a laptop); is there any real difference between actual brands or should I look at components;
Can anyone recommend what to go for?? I was looking at somthing like this:
http://www.dabs.com/productview.asp...vigationKey=11105,42880000,411790000,49010000

Also, from the review's I've read you cant rely on battery life given by manufacturers, will something like this need a giant battery to get about 2-3 hours multitasking no gaming or heavy use out of it??? They all run at 4200rpm

And Jesus, has no-one worked out how to get a decent hdd in a laptop yet???
Any advice much appreciated;
Chris

I've always had a good experience with IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad laptops & would recommend them without any hesitation. They might not look like much but are very reliable.

jb444 said:
And Jesus, has no-one worked out how to get a decent hdd in a laptop yet???
If by "decent" you mean "Obscenely loud, big and power-hungry", then you can get laptops with this kind of drives too. You need to hire a porter to carry those beasts around and you want at least three spare batteries since you need to replace em every hour :D

Anyway, every manufacturer has good and crappy product lines. The brand name matters, but sometimes it useful to look under the cover too. For example, Asus is a decent laptop maker, but they also provide their laptops as white boxes to other makers. So when you buy some generic supermarket laptop, you may actually get an ASUS, which is not that bad as one may think..

The warranty period pretty much shows how long the machine is supposed to last, so you should most certainly get something with a three (or at least two) year warranty out of the box (without any extra warranty packages).

And yeah, if you can afford it, get a ThinkPad :)

I may be backing a bit of a dead horse here but Sony Viao laptops are reliable, in my job I find I barely ever get calls about Sonys and when I do they are normally something related to networking (the routers on fire) you get the idea.

Only downside with Sonys is you are paying for the name really... which some people don't think it's worth the extra few hundred pounds! :D

PS - as others have mentioned, nothing wrong with IMB either :p

Didou said:
I've always had a good experience with IBM/Lenovo ThinkPad laptops & would recommend them without any hesitation. They might not look like much but are very reliable.

Yes I agree that the IBM/Lenovo notebooks are pretty durable with good quality. They are good for business use.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back