Remember recently used Programs and Favorites stopped working

Status
Not open for further replies.

David40

After I did the steps pinned at the top of the Securty topic my IE is running blinding fast like it used to, but something got changed in the process of running all those cleaners and virus scanners. It used to be my Start menu and my Favorites menu remembered the most recently used items. So if I oppened the Start menu for example is would only show the last four or five programs I accessed in a catagory, and if I hovered the pointer over the directory it would then expand the menu to show all the programs. Same for the Favorites menu. They do not seem to be working any longer. If I open my Favorites or Start menus they expand completely and I have to hunt for what I want to open. How can I turn this very convenient "remember" feature back on?

I'm guessing you're using CCleaner? When it starts look at the options it presents on the left under Windows and Applications tabs. It deletes everything being checked. Decide if you want to uncheck things like History, Recent Documents, MRUs (Most Recently Used).

Yep that was one of the progams they had me use. OK, I can see that is true, but did it turn that feature off, or is it just going to take time for the system to re-learn the MRUs?
Thanks

The system will keep a history of things as it always does. Unchecking the boxes means CCleaner won't clear each of the histories each time it runs

OK, that's great but how many times do you need to visit a web page or open a program before it's starts "remembering"? It's been a couple of days and I'm sure I've opened a few items at least a dozen times but I'm still not getting any rememberance on those items. Is that something that is adjustable?

no, ccleaner would just clear current histories.. vs. change the way they're collected. Unless that was done by some other program. Which browser do you use?

I use IE mostly and FireFox ocassionally, but it's not just the Browser, it's also my Start Menu in Windows. Used to be it would remember the most used programs and they would be the first to expand on the Menu making them easy to find. Now everything expands completely. Definitly slows me down.
On the up side IE is running great now, as fast as it ever was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back