Remnants of virus? Google search links redirected, Roxio being installed

Status
Not open for further replies.
My computer had some spyware which I thought was detected and cleaned (using Malwarebytes and Superantispyware) - they were gen nullo, also lnwxgegr.sys and also a couple classified as Trojan.Agent. A previous scan with Malwarebytes had successfully removed lnwxgegr.sys, but it has come back again!

In addition, my Google search links, even though they look normal, take me to random wierd slightly relevant sites and not to where the link description says. Also, whenever I boot up the computer, a windows installer starts up and tries to install Roxio Media Manager - even though I am not trying to install that or anything else at all.

I ran through the 8 steps outlined on this forum and have the logs attached. The scans that produced the logs did not find any infections although the computer is still not "behaving" normally, as described above. II did try to update to latest Java - but it seems to be hung up and not completed, and also I cannot uninstall the earlier versions.

Please help! Thanks very much.

Attachments

• hijackthis.log
    12.1 KB · Views: 2
  • mbam-log-2010-01-23 (07-54-59).txt
    942 bytes · Views: 2
  • SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log - 01-23-2010 - 13-26-14.log
    466 bytes · Views: 2
I tried System Restore -- for many different earlier dates. The computer looked like it was doing something, restarted then came back with the message that it couldn't do the restore. I could not find any earlier dates that it could restore to. TMagic650, you said Windows restore - is this a different kind of restore? How to do that?

I tried XP repair - no luck also. The computer simply did not respond. I was getting paranoid because I would look in Windows Task Master and see unfamiliar processes running like iDriver.exe, iDriverT.exe, AdAwareAdmin.exe. A Windows Installer window would always pop-up and try to install something whenever I booted up. I just decided that I would just do a clean re-install of Windows on the computer, after making sure I had backups. I had spent too much time trying to figure this out. Thank you for your help anyway.

I would never argue against doing a fresh Windows install! Good work... and happy computing!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back