Remote connection question

Status
Not open for further replies.

donjo13

I have a friend who needs my help. He wants me to connect to his PC and look at whats going on. How do I do this, since I never have before? I assume its remote desktop connection. We both have windows xp pro. We both have comcast cable modem connections.

Yup, using remote desktop connection should allow you to connect thru to your friends pc. Open it up & make sure he is online too ... then obtain his IP address & go from there. Although I've only used Remote desktop connection on a network, so maybe there will be a chance you cannot do it. But try it anyway.

If not, take your pc to your mates house & network them together. But im sure there is a way you can do it from your home. Ah thats right! Remember to have your friend in remoe desktop too. Test it out first with Net Meeting to see if you can get through to him, or maybe have MSN or whatever messenger open for the both of you too.

Good luck wiv dat & post your results here eh? :grinthumb

You should be able to do it across the internet no problem - I use RDP to work on my parent's machine for them. A couple things you'll need to keep in mind though is that he may have his firewall blocking the RDP port. He'll need to open that port (to you if he wants to specify the scope) @ port 3389. The service name may already exist and he might only have to click the checkbox for the exception.

If he's behind a NAT/router then he'll need to forward that port (3389) to the corresponding IP within his LAN.

If you are both using MSN messenger I believe you can "invite" someone to remote in right from there. He just has to send you an invitation (and can password protect it) and then you receive it and go from there.

In other words though, he has to "start" the session. There are multiple ways to do this, like 3 or 4. And remote desktop/remote help may be off. So we'll keep going if you can't get in.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back