remote connection

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tribal-Phoenix

Ok heres the situation, in school we have a site blocker, it blockes sites by keywords i believe, is there a way i could make the connection go through my home computer and to the site, since they blocked hotmail and most of the sites that provide you with emails. can i do this without using vnc or other such tools.

You can use a SSH or some other secure tunnel - the traffic will be encrypted and noone can see what goes through.. The standard way is to set up a SSH server on your computer and use the SOCKS proxy feature of SSH clients (like PuTTY).

ok Nodsu what r u saying is to set urp a ssh server at home , no problem with that, but how is it going to redirect my traffic, or i should also use socks proxy in my browser with my home ip and that somehow going to work ? im not really good in this altough have done some research and didnt really find anything usefull.

You set up SSH on your home computer. Then, from your school computer you log on to your SSH using PuTTY or some other advanced SSH client. In the SSH client setup you define a local dynamic SSH tunnel from port 1080. In your browser you set the SOCKS proxy to 127.0.0.1:1080 and voila, the browser will send all requests through the SSH session to your home computer.

Mind you, the name resolution will still go through your school network, meaning that if anyone is interested they can see what servers you use.

Brilliant ! thanks for advice, ill do that as soon as possible, one more question: if i run a read only .exe file from usb or a floppy is there any way for me to restrict that file from being coppied on hard, iv recently got suspended for hacking in school, whith some preety stupid evidence, a guy saw me doing that stuff (remote controlling pc's on network) and did it, so he got caught and told office that it was me who taught him, since that was all they had against me i got suspended only for 2 days without this thing going on my record, so now im kinda confused about what im allowed and what im not to do on these retarded pc's. these computers are all connected to a main server using novel logon, im preety sure if admins want they can easily see all my activity, so if there way to make a file be just readable and not being copyable, so i can run putty without being suspended again.
Thanks.

you could try large virtual memory,if the HDD is on your pc
they may not see it
but they still will see any key strokes you are making.
now as far as loading programs on machine,I'm surprised they allow you to do this.
at my shop only I am allowed to run msi or exe's

again this is hacking and not an appropriate subject here.

No, you cannot prevent copying of a file once it is readable but then again, who would know to copy the .exe when it is on your USB drive?

Thanks for advices, now Samstoned i didnt quite get this part "you could try large virtual memory,if the HDD is on your pc
they may not see it" also what did u mean if hdd is on my pc, its all happening in school they have 1 physical hard and 5 networked ones, with soft, ghost backup and such things, they used deep freeze so everytime it restarts ( i assume bios loads config from network and all the files return to their previous state, normally we "students" dont have much access, but if u know how to bypass certain restrictions good for you , just dont get caught. also i was curious bout that read only thing, that is just a precaution in case they will be wantching me ( paranoic !) and might want to get a copy of a program for evidence damn it !. lol sick people. i kept telling them i do this for my personal knowledge bast***s. anyways ill try setting up ssh server and connecting through it. altough now im not even sure that we are allowd to run external programs , gotta ask that retar*** teacher.
Thanks guyz.

create a virtual drive on pc load the exe from USB port and you got one fast server
on reboot drive goes away or not your choice
but nodsu got easyer suggestion run right from usb that should be plenty fast enough.
now what about temp files and such.
while ,you might look into VM ware load a linux distro and run the server from there the main OS will not log it,I think it's made that way to be free from all real time OS's
school server software for detecting key strokes may still see you.if you setup the encryption right it would see meanless junk.

well the problem is that im doing all this in school, so im trying to do a less as possible, basically just run the exe file without any traces, i think u misunderstood what iv been trying to say here - Samstoned, anyways ill try all of those advices, by the way wheni set up ssh server is there any way i can get some additional security, altough i already have a d-link 624 router and the newest version of agnitum firewall, i still dont feel secure.

SSH is secure. That's the very point. Unless someone guesses or captures your password or actively monitors your sessions for weeks on end (and actually has the skill to bruteforce the SSH protocol) you are safe.

And thats what im talking about in paranoic stage as mine , administrators might be sniffing traffic or watchging me at any moment perhaps those swines are watching me right now BAHAHAA ! SWINES ! lol well u know how humanity works, u always try t be better, well so do i, always resrching for new security exploites, protection, etc. so basically im just trying to secure my servers, since i also have a web server runnign on the same ip, so that makes me , i would say more visible to ppl. anyways if u guyz gt nay other suggestions , feel free to share em with me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back