TechSpot

Remote desktop Connection

By TNT
Jun 30, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. OK... I have a laptop. I also have a Desktop. My laptop is good, but it is laking on the harddrive memory. So remote desktop would be great(if i could get it to work) for me and my work. I need to be able to access programs and system files but i can't have everything with me at once. And sometimes I forget txt. docs that i need for presentations. So theres the lowdown. now my issuses.

I run win. xp. so i tried the self explanatory part by useing the help feature. well it was to vague on the technicle stuff. It made it seem to easy. I'm sure it is. I tried typing in the computer name. it didn't work. I turned off all the firewall security possible that is on both comps.. I went into the windows personal firewall settings and told it to allow remote access. After many tries i finnally got a response from my laptop not saying it wasn't valid or not a known server that great stuff, it said that "the remote computer has ended the connection". so i'm close, but not close enough.
    I have a second question. for whom is willing to answer me. I got my shared files working and my shared printer, does that me i can access my shared files were ever. essentially like remote deaktop?
    I try to learn as much as i can from what other people tell me and what I see. so i'm willing to learn if your willing to teach it. The help is greatly appreciated. :blackeye:
  2. TNT

TNT TS Rookie Topic Starter

one more thing.

If i can figure out what my computers IP's are then i think that would work better, but all i know how to find is the name of it, which i give them. I know there is a way to do it.
  3. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 8,165

4. TNT

thanks

I like the icon. had to look at it for a few seonds to make sure thats what it was. sweet. Thanks for the help. I'm looking into it right now.
  5. TNT

I hate this

Well. I figured out why it wasn't working. Both of my computers have microsoft home edition on them . i at least professional on one of them for it to work.
  6. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 9,431

Time to install VNC.. I recommend UltraVNC or TightVNC
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.