Remote Desktop Slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChrisL

I am trying to remotely connect to my Windows XP computer at home from work using remote desktop. I have managed a couple of times to get on but it is amazingly slow. Now I cant seem to even bring up the opening desktop. I have tried changing the options to the bare minimum to preserve memory but cant even connect doing that. My computer and bandwidth at home are top sepc and my work computer is good spec but fairly slow internet connection. It is Windows 2000. Not sure how to get a better connection?

Remote Desktop=Slow

Remote Desktop is always going to crawl, since you're transferring huge amounts of information over the internet. That problem gets exponentially worse when you don't have an excellent connection.

Since you've connected already, I'm assuming your computer is set up for remote connections. Maybe look into a faster internet connection at work (if possible).

I got on earlier bit it was slow, now the screen just goes black and the timer comes up endlessly. Is there any way of me testing the work computer to see how fast the internet is then posting it here to see what people think?

Sounds slow...I've got a cable connection and had 2906kbps. That could be your problem, though I'm no remote desktop expert. If I had to guess, your connection is either timing out (meaning it takes to long to connect) or there's some software issue with the remote connection.

Wish I had a more definitive answer...sorry. If possible, try to connect using a better connection somewhere else and see if you get the same issue. If that happens, it's likely a software issue, meaning something needs to be changed or upgraded, etc.

That speed should be fast enuff. AT work I get around 600 and my remote desktop works fine. Yes it can be a little slow but not unbearable as it sounds your is. Plus it sounds like you have some other problem now. Can you ping your home computer from work? at command prompt type ping yourcomputerathomesipaddress

Sorry got home and my computer on logging on was black screen with timer hung up! SO thats what the remote desktop was seein. It was still painfully slow this morning when i did get it to work briefly. Ill try again next week. DOnt think it should be hanging my computer up though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back