TechSpot

Remote Roaming Profiles

By Bloo Ice
May 20, 2005
  1. Hi. I have roaming profiles set up on my home network...very nice. One thing I don't like though is having to set up all the accounts on every computer and then map them to the server [which is really just a computer running XP Pro hosting all the files]. At school they don't have your account on the comptuer [because there would be about 4000 accounts on about 2000 computers!!]. You just type in your user name and password, and bam, its there. How do I do this?

2. wii-ste

wii-ste TS Rookie Posts: 163

You need a server operating system such as Windows Server 2003/2008 setup as a Domain Controller (Active Directory) to do the same as your school.

A domain server manages passwords and processes the log-on/log-off processes.

Windows Home Server works differently (although I haven't tried it) - it states that it updates the passwords on all the machines when you create/edit/delete accounts. So you may want to try that - it may be more suitable and affordable.

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

This thread is over 2 years old. Please look at the date of threads before posting lol.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

4. wii-ste

wii-ste TS Rookie Posts: 163

lol sorry, didnt notice that. am just looking for some info on roaming profiles and noticed the question lol

5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

It`s ok mate, I did exactly the same thing a time or two, when I first joined TS. then someone pointed it out to me. ;)

Regards Howard :)

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.