Remote tab and communications->Remote Desktop missing

By denisl
Jan 7, 2006
  1. I just installed WinXP pro SP2.

I went to use Remote Desktop Connection and it's not there. I checked for the "remote" tab (rightclick mycomputer - properties) and it's not there also.

I found this, made the registry change and it was successful. I rebooted and still no remote tab or Remote desktop connection option under Communication.

I went to the MS website and downloaded the Remote Desktop Connection client and the installed failed saying that it was already installed to check "all programs-> accessories->communications->remote desktop connections". Well it's not there..

I searched and found this post but I don't have the remote desktop helper service described in the post. Maybe that's the problem?

How can I enable it?
  2. A_DOG73

A_DOG73 TS Rookie Posts: 170

Try this:

Press Start, Run, and type in:

Maybe that will work.
  3. denisl

denisl TS Rookie Topic Starter

That worked - Remote Desktop started.. Thanks.

How can I get to the "remote" tabe under my computer properties?

It's still not listed under communications but I guess I can manually add it there...

This is odd for a fresh install.. :(
  4. denisl

denisl TS Rookie Topic Starter

Can anybody help?
  5. bobbycakes

bobbycakes TS Rookie

I'm not sure. But you could always go to: C:/WINDOWS/SYSTEM32/MSTSC.EXE and copy the file and paste it to your desktop or into another folder of your choosing (if you haven't already done so). Take care.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.