Remote user changed domain password, no he's screwed

Status
Not open for further replies.

aplatt99

So one of my remote users changed his domain password. His laptop was not connected to the domain at the time. Now he can no longer logon to the laptop. He has VPN connectivity so we logged on locally as the local admin and connected to the VPN. We then successfully mapped a drive to the domain controller via VPN using his domain user and password (old one). We thought perhaps this would recache his password to the laptop. Still cannot logon to the laptop using domain user/pass (old or new). I changed his domain password on the domain controller (Server 2003) in active directory. He still cannot login. Bringing the laptop 3 hours to the corp office, is there any way to fix this problem?

THanks
ANdrew

You may be able to use the Offline NT Password Editor to blank the password and change it back to what it originally was (if he remembers). Though, I can't remember if that only works for local accounts or not. Probably not. Either way, you have local administrator account access. What does he need to achieve by logging into the domain account that can't wait until he has access to the domain again?

You are correct. The user is away from the corp. office. Will that work for the cached domain password? I think this is what got us in this mud hole. He could not "remember" his password that he uses every day. So he changed his domain user password without being connected to the domain controller. Aren't we having fun

Unless the VPN is set up before the login prompt, there's nothing you can do.
Maybe see the logon using dial-up feature of Windows..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back