TechSpot

Removal of Bios Login

By Justoneofus
Oct 3, 2008
  1. Hi. I am just a user with some tech savvy. But I had someone create a bios login password for my bosses dell laptop inspiron; service tag 6W4KSC1.

He now wants to give this laptop to a family member and now need to remove the bios login requirement.

I know the password, I just need to know how to remove it so it fires up Windows Vista on bootup. This is beyond my limited savvy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. kimsland

kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,524

You need to go into CMOS settings (Sometimes called BIOS or Setup)

CMOS is accessed by turning on the computer, and noticing the screen prompt
    Like, Hit DEL or F2 to get into Setup (it is displayed for about 3 secs)

Once in CMOS locate the Password area, and disable it
    Try not to create a new one or anything, these things are difficult to fix without knowing the password

3. Justoneofus

Justoneofus TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you.. I will give that a try as soon as it's done doing it's gazillion update process. I just reinstalled Windows Vista OS, so it has to play catchup.

I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again.

4. Justoneofus

Update

Well, I couldnt access the F2 key, because it is protected by the password requirement. And of course, once you type in the password, it boots.

How do I back door to get to the bios config screen after logging in to find the password to disable it? Is there another way?

5. Justoneofus

Bios Admin Password Now Disabled

Thanks. You gave me enough confidence to try some stuff.

I was able to get around the required login by inputting the password then upon hittin enter, hit F12 "twice". It took me to the options to get to the Bios Setup, access the admin password and disable it by entering the original password, then not entering a new one, thus disabling it.

This is a pretty easy thing to do (being very careful of course) once you get access.

Thought to put this in for anyone else having the same problem that I did and how I was able to resolve it.

Thanks.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.