Removal of disk before "ejection"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eddieguard

So my brother used my computer to back up some files from an pc whose mobo was fried. (We were replacing the motherboard and doing a clean install.) But in the process, he left my computer thinking the drive should be there. For some reason it moved all of my other drives down too because it was named the C drive. This totally screwed all downloading because I didn't realize this till after the 2 gig file finished. :mad:

I tried putting in other drives, but that didn't work, and windows won't let me straight up delete it. This wouldn't be a problem, but since all of my virus/spyware detecting programs search all drives, I can't run any of them.

Does anybody know how to trick windows xp into forgetting about the drive?

Thanks

Eric

If you right click on "my computer" select "manage" then "storage" then "management", you will be able to manually assign hard drive letters.

Hope that helps, Rik.

Most AV, Spyware programs have the ability for you to change where they search...
I tried putting in other drives, but that didn't work, and windows won't let me straight up delete it. This wouldn't be a problem, but since all of my virus/spyware detecting programs search all drives, I can't run any of them.
Its not XP its the Virus/spyware program your using.

Thanks for your help guys, the "my computer" thing worked to remove the drive so I didn't have to mess with my spybot settings. One question though, when I tried to change my H drive back to my C drive (it was C before my brother started to tinker) it won't let me. It says "Windows cannot modify the drive letter of your system volume or boot volume" but it's not my boot volume.

What does system volume mean in layman's terms?

Any ideas?

It's okay if not, my computer works fine it's just me being anal and wanting a C drive so it's all alphabetical and stuff like that.

The system volume is the drive that has your operating system (windows) on it and your boot volume contains the files that allows the system to boot up.

From what you say i assume that windows wasn't on the c drive, when it installed, it would have put files on the c drive to allow boot and to point to where windows was installed. This is why it wont allow you to change it. As far as i know, the only cure would be a reinstall of windows.

When testing hard drives i personally would never remove the c drive or obviously the operating system disk.
I used to run multiple hard drives, 40gig x1, 80gigx2, i always used the 40 as the c drive and put windows on that. It can save a lot of hassle.

Hope that helps, Rik.

<edit> Just had an idea, you may be able to add the c drive letter to the h drive then hide the h drive, it may work, never tried it personally.

You might check c:\boot.ini and see what it says.
Carefully you can change the info there to reflect the HD you want to be your Boot Drive... then manually change the drive letter.. to reflect correctly...

changing any info here can be very hazard to your system...
but maybe your brother changed some info...

or you might try GHOST then ghost your current C:\

all this can be hazard to your system if NOT DONE Properly... next time i recommend you make sure your BROTHER does not have ADMIN to your system...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back