Remove vista and install xp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

djspan101

Hey guys,

I seriously need help here. I am sick of vista on my laptop and I want to remove it and install XP Pro, but everytime I start the install, I just get a BSOD!

Please help,

Dan,

PS. It is a Dell Studio 1537 running Vista Home Premium SP3

**I also have XP Disk**

When exactly does the BSOD appear? You shouldn't see any if you boot from the XP CD and format the drive; install the new OS that way. Do you have an OEM disk or a manufacturer disk that came with another computer? Is there any specific reason you want to do away with Vista, or do you just not like it? You could always give Windows 7 a shot as well. There are still RC downloads available.

Vista Home Premium SP3

Have I missed a couple SP's because I nver heard of SP2 or 3?
If there are certain settings you don't like, there are ways to make it behave more like XP, maybe you should try before you wipe it out. I'm not a fan of 'change' either but....

I'm guessing djspan101 meant Vista SP2 which was just released June 30, 2009

And djspan101: Separate from your BSOD issue, you might be best to make sure all your drivers are available for XP (especially Sound) as some people learn the hard way they can't find an XP driver version

When exactly does the BSOD appear? You shouldn't see any if you boot from the XP CD and format the drive; install the new OS that way. Do you have an OEM disk or a manufacturer disk that came with another computer? Is there any specific reason you want to do away with Vista, or do you just not like it? You could always give Windows 7 a shot as well. There are still RC downloads available.

I don't really want to rely on 7 RC as a primary OS especialy as they are soon shutting it down(next july)

I have an OEM disk and I don't like vista because it is so slow even when I disable visual themes and use programs like auslogics boost speed

Remove Vista and reinstall XP

In order to reinstall Windows XP you will need to completely remove the Vista operating system from your hard-drive. Make sure you save all your personal files and any other system programmes saved to an online web facility or an external hard drive and then remove Windows Vista. I assume that you have a CD version of Windows XP to reinstall, if not, you need to obtain a copy before you delete all your Vista files!

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back