Removed Viruses/Malware System still very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI TechSpot,

Last week my wife's Laptop was showing up all SPyware popup's and was acting funny. By researching on this site I downloaded AVG and removed the virus by unchecking the System restore and restarting the the system.
Virus seems to be gone and there were no more Pop ups as well. The only message I get when I boot the system is system could not find Printer.exe in System32 folder. I researched and I think there are still some virus on the sytem as Its very slow.

Can the techies on the forum suggest me what can I do to get my wife's Laptop to previous speed.

Dell Laptop
XP Home edition.
Nortan Antivirus is loaded.
I deleted AVG.

Appreciet all the help.

Thanks,
Sudeep

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

The system is still more than likely infected.

Very Important: Before deciding whether you should clean or reformat your system, go and read this thread HERE and decide what it is you want to do.

If after reading the above, you wish to clean your system, do the following.

Go and read the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. Follow all the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT, AVG Antispyware and Combofix logs as Attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Also, let me know the results of the Panda Antirootkit scan.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of sudeep only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

I have Norton Internet Security running on my System, do you suggest me to still download AVG and ZoneAlarm.
If yes I will do it. Please let me know.

Thanks for a quick reply to mu post.
Sudeep

If you bother to read what it says in the instructions, you`ll see that it says the following.

STEP2:

If you`re not running any antivirus or firewall software, you should install some ASAP.

Download and install the free AVG or Avast antivirus programmes and either the free Zonealarm, Kerio or Comodo firewall programmes.

Install whichever firewall you chose, followed by whichever antivirus programme you chose. Reboot your system the required number of times. Run the antivirus updates.

ONLY INSTALL THE ABOVE ANTIVIRUS/FIREWALL SOFTWARE, IF YOU DON`T ALREADY HAVE ANY ANTIVIRUS OR FIREWALL SOFTWARE.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of sudeep only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back